How can I limit the access to a Dataverse to only registered users?

Jose Antonio Galeano Cardenas

Feb 28, 2019, 8:07:42 AM2/28/19
to Dataverse Users Community
We have installed Dataverse on our server and created a test Dataverse and inside it we created many dataverses and datasets, some of the published, some of them are not published.

How can I limit the visibility of the parent test Dataverse so it is not shown when a user isn't logged in?

Philip Durbin

Feb 28, 2019, 8:30:38 AM2/28/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi! It might be easiest for us to help if you use https://demo.dataverse.org to recreate the situation you're describing so that we can click around and see exactly what you mean. Alternatively, screenshots would help.

My first though is that when a dataverse (or dataset or file) is published it is always visible to all, even people who are not logged in. Unpublished datasets within that published dataverse will not be visible, of course, except to those who have access to it.

Apologies if I don't understand your question. Please also feel free to create a GitHub issue with screenshots at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues if you think that will be a better way to discuss this. You can also reach us at http://chat.dataverse.org for real-time discussion, when we're logged in and paying attention. :)

Thanks,

Phil

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 8:07 AM Jose Antonio Galeano Cardenas <antoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
We have installed Dataverse on our server and created a test Dataverse and inside it we created many dataverses and datasets, some of the published, some of them are not published.

How can I limit the visibility of the parent test Dataverse so it is not shown when a user isn't logged in?

Sebastian Karcher

Feb 28, 2019, 8:38:38 AM2/28/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if this is helpful, but if you don't mind the metadata and datasets being visible and just want the files to be only accessible by registered, logged-in users, you can restrict all files on publication and then grant permission to the group :authenticated-users . That's what we do at QDR. But obviously that doesn't work if you really want the entire dataverse and its contents to be completely invisible (out of curiousity: what's the use case for that?).
With invisible datasets, you also run into problems if you're using DOIs, since it's bad practice to issue DOIs that don't resolve for everyone (and the metadata would be public through Datacite anyway).

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Jose Antonio Galeano Cardenas

Jose Antonio Galeano Cardenas

Philip Durbin

Pete Meyer

Feb 28, 2019, 11:35:51 AM2/28/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Jose,

Depending on your use case, and some of your installation details, this might be something that you could handle at the web layer (since restricting access to published dataverses/dataset metadata isn't supported at the application layer).  In other words, use the apache configuration to require authentication for dataverse pages (and possibly allow unauthenticated access to the url pattern matching dataset pages, to avoid the potential issue Sebastion mentioned with DOIs with unresolvable target urls).

This might be a reasonable approach for internal evaluation or development; but it also gets very close to the "here there be dragons" part of the conceptual map - it would require more work from your system administrators, your target users would have to be on the same page, and you should allow for the possibility that other things may behave unexpectedly.

Best,
Pete