file sort or display order

Jamie Jamison

May 24, 2022, 5:40:17 PM5/24/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Is there a way to force the order in which files display?  From what I've read in the documentation I think the answer is no but I wanted to be sure before telling a depositor it's not possible.

Jamie
UCLA Dataverse

James Myers

May 24, 2022, 6:05:32 PM5/24/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

AFAIK that’s correct – with the functionality to sort and to filter by type/access/tag it is hard to see how a mechanism to also let the user define the order could work.

FWIW: QDR has added some functionality to ‘Group by Tag’ and ‘Group by Folder’ that could be contributed to the community version. Those (on by default) bring files with tags to the start of the list and order things by folder respectively. The by tag grouping means that if you tag a few files as ‘Documentation’ for example, those all come first, so it allows the user some control (while still letting the other sort/filter options work).

-- Jim

Philip Durbin

May 24, 2022, 6:12:45 PM5/24/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I'm familiar with QDR's "CategorySortOrder" (group by tag) functionality from https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/5485 which we didn't merge (maybe we should have!).

I didn't know QDR's fork has a "group by folder" feature too. Nice.

There's a fork in Poland that implemented the idea of a display order for files: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/compare/develop...tjanek:5280-dataset-files-reordering

Overall, Jamie, you're right. It's currently not possible. Here's the open issue that you (and others) are welcome to leave a comment on: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4959

Thanks,

Phil