What else does ORCID Integration give you besides Login?

Sherry Lake

Apr 6, 2017, 3:58:50 PM4/6/17
to Dataverse Users Community
With 4.6.1, users can log in with their ORCID. But is this ORCID for logging in only? OR does this also give users a connection to their ORCID accounts where their Dataverse datasets are automatically added to their ORCID account?

I also assume that since UVa is Shibboleth only, we can't use ORCID too? Unless there was some way for us to only allow UVA ORCID users (we have an institutional ORCID account)?

Maybe a topic for our next Community Call?

Thanks for the info.
Sherry

Philip Durbin

Apr 6, 2017, 4:14:09 PM4/6/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Like you said, it's only for logging in to Dataverse via ORCID (or Google or GitHub). There are some other ideas of where to take ORCID integration next including these:

- update users' ORCID record on dataset publication - https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3490
- On the "create dataset" page, prepopulate author identifiers such as ORCID, ISNI, and LCNA - https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3507

At the moment these appear on http://dataverse.org/goals-roadmap-and-releases under 4.8 as "Building on the ORCID Authentication made available in a previous release, further integration will allow users to publish Dataverse datasets to their ORCID profile and will pre-populate ORCID IDs on dataset create." However, 4.8 is far enough away it's hard for me to make any sort of prediction if they'll be in or out.

When we do get around to implementing the ideas above or other ideas, I'm sure we'd love to hear from the community on how the feature should work.

I hope this helps!

Phil

Philipp at UiT

Oct 23, 2017, 2:22:42 AM10/23/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Some of the researchers depositing their data in our Dataverse installation use different author name variants, e.g. Eckhoff, Hanne vs. Eckhoff Hanne M. In some cases they prefer to use the same variants as in the article publication that is based on the dataset. These inconsistency in author name makes it somewhat difficult to use the author field for searching and filtering. The "same" author (with different name variants) appears several times in the Dataverse search, and, I guess, also in other search engines that harvest DataCite.

Dataverse already provides an ORCID field in the Citation Metadata section. But as far I can see, this field is not available for search/filtering. I suggest that ORCID should be used in future versions of Dataverse to enable unique searching and filtering for author names in Dataverse.

Best,
Philipp

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Sherry Lake <shla...@gmail.com> wrote:
With 4.6.1, users can log in with their ORCID. But is this ORCID for logging in only? OR does this also give users a connection to their ORCID accounts where their Dataverse datasets are automatically added to their ORCID account?

I also assume that since UVa is Shibboleth only, we can't use ORCID too? Unless there was some way for us to only allow UVA ORCID users (we have an institutional ORCID account)?

Maybe a topic for our next Community Call?

Thanks for the info.
Sherry

Philip Durbin

Philipp at UiT

Philip Durbin

Oct 25, 2017, 9:37:06 AM10/25/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I meant GitHub issue, not ticket.

Please note that you can already do a search on ORCID IDs like this:

authorIdentifier:"0000-0001-6924-7560"

https://dataverse.no/dataverse/root?q=authorIdentifier%3A%220000-0001-6924-7560%22

I think what you want is a user friendly GUI for this.

It's not pretty but you can see which fields are searchable by looking at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/v4.8.1/conf/solr/4.6.0/schema.xml

I hope this helps,

Phil

Philipp at UiT

Oct 25, 2017, 10:05:57 AM10/25/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks, Phil. I have now submitted a GitHub issue.
Best,
Philipp

Falco KUB

Dec 18, 2019, 10:08:27 AM12/18/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Is there any way of connecting a user account with ORCiD when allowing institutional login only?
Or allowing users to login with ORCiD, but only for existing accounts?

Due to matters of security, we can only allow creation of user accounts through our identity management system.

Philip Durbin

Dec 18, 2019, 11:15:03 AM12/18/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
No, when multiple login options are available within an installation of Dataverse (Harvard Dataverse supports five login options: institutional, email, ORCID, Google, GitHub) the user must choose one of these options and always log in with that option. If the user logs in with a different option, a new account will be created. Then the user would have an institutional account and an ORCID account, which is not great. It's easy to forget which login option you used, which is what this issue is about: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3704

If you'd like a feature of Dataverse that allows you to still be you no matter how you log in to Dataverse (institutional, ORCID, GitHub, etc.), please create an issue about this at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

It sounds like you're going a bit farther than what I've been thinking, however. Or perhaps a slightly different direction. What I'm hearing is that you don't want random people with ORCID accounts creating accounts in your installation of Dataverse. You only want users who can log in through your identity management system. Historically, this has meant that you enable Shibboleth and disable all other login options. But then you want your researchers to associate their ORCID ID with their Dataverse account (which is a "shib" account) by logging in through ORCID. This is not supported but it's a good idea. I have this problem myself. I log into Harvard Dataverse with my HarvardKey credentials (Shibboleth) but I don't have any way to associate my ORCID ID with my account. When I go to create a dataset, Dataverse doesn't prepopulate "author identifier" with my ORCID ID because it doesn't have it on file. (If you use ORCID as a login option, this field, author identifier, is prepopulated.)

A related use case I've been thinking about is GitHub. Zenodo has a nice feature where a GitHub webhook gets sent to Zenodo every time you make a release in GitHub, which triggers a new version of the dataset on the Zenodo side. To create the webhook, you have to authenticate with GitHub. So ideally I would continue to log into Harvard Dataverse with my Harvard credentials but I would be able to associate both my ORCID and GitHub accounts with my Dataverse account.

This is more of a brain dump than an answer but I hope it helps. Please feel free to create GitHub issues about any of this! :)

Thanks,

Phil

Falco KUB

Dec 19, 2019, 3:44:53 AM12/19/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Ok, thanks a lot for the clarification.
It's exactly the problem that you describe about prepopulating the "author identifier" metadata field. We think that everybody should have an ORCiD, but if they have to put it in manually for every dataset, they will probably not use it.
Could it be an option to have an ORCiD field in the "account information" that users can fill in manually when ORCiD login is not available?

Philip Durbin

Dec 19, 2019, 8:20:20 AM12/19/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I would absolutely personally fill in my ORCID in my Dataverse account profile if I could. What about other author identifiers? Currently Dataverse supports these eight author identifiers[1] in dataset metadata:

- ORCID
- ISNI
- LCNA
- VIAF
- GND
- DAI
- ResearcherID
- ScopusID

From the account page, should researchers be able to fill in as many of these as they want? Or would they only be able to fill in their ORCID ID?

Also, would we treat ORCID ID similar to email where the account page says "not verified" until you click "verify email" and click a link? That is to say, would we let users enter their ORCID ID and basically trust that it's correct in the short term? And later we could have a "verify ORCID ID" button that users could click to go authenticate with ORCID to prove that they've entered the correct ORCID ID? I don't know how many of the other author identifiers (ISNI, LCNA, etc.) support the concept of logging in. Maybe they all do?

What I'm trying to do is imagine how the coding could be done in what we call "small chunks." The idea is that each chunk, each pull request, provides incremental value. Here's what I'm thinking:

- Pull request 1: Allow users to save their ORCID ID on the account page (save it either in authenticateduser[2] table or a new table dedicated to author identifiers). If the ORCID ID has been saved, pre-populate it in the "create dataset" workflow.
- Pull request 2: Allow other author identifiers to be saved on the account page, if there is interest. Pre-populate these in "create dataset" too.
- Pull request 3: Add a "verify ORCID ID" button.
- Pull request 4: Add a "verify ISNI" button (or other author identifiers), if there is interest and if it's possible (if auth is supported).

Does this make sense? If so, are you interested in creating a GitHub issue for the first pull request? The smaller the scope of the proposed work, the easier it is to estimate and the more quickly if moves through the development process. Also, as always, the community is very welcome to make pull requests. The community is a great accelerator of development. What's important is having rough consensus on the plan before coding begins.

Thanks,

Phil

p.s. I'd feel remiss if I didn't point out that "it should be possible to make the ORCID field in the Citation Metadata section pre-filled using the ORCID field in account information" is already mentioned somewhat in passing at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4236 . There are a lot of good thoughts in that "ORCID integration in Dataverse" but as I read through that issue I see big chunks instead of small chunks. It's great to have a cohesive vision of where we want to go so there's a lot of value in that issue but what I'm suggesting above is that small issues and small pull requests could be created to provide incremental progress.

p.p.s. I'd also feel remiss if I didn't mention that Menko de Ruijter from DANS is thinking hard right now about a related issue, making the ORCID ID a clickable hyperlink in the dataset metadata. He posted a nice screenshot at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/1625#issuecomment-561639359

Sherry Lake

Dec 19, 2019, 8:20:26 AM12/19/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Phil,

Can you add ORCID login to demo.dataverse? I would like to see how it works (and not mess up my account on Harvard).

At UVa, we integrate ORCID with our ETD repository. The DMPTool "connects" ORICDs to users via their profile (but I don't think it does anything else with it). I wanted to see how it works in Dataverse so I can add comments to the issue: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4236

Thanks.
Sherry

Philip Durbin

Dec 19, 2019, 8:53:44 AM12/19/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
The tricky thing about ORCID is that back when I tested it years ago I believe that you had to pay for auth. That's why I wrote "ORCID, on the other hand, does not have an automated system for requesting these credentials, and it is not free to use the ORCID authentication service."[1]

Since that time Oliver has pointed out to me in IRC that it might be possible to change the scope or something so that the institution running Dataverse wouldn't have become an ORCID member. But I haven't looked into this at all. If someone wants to make a pull request, we could test it.

Back to the demo server. Maybe we can piggy back off Harvard's ORCID membership. Can you please create an issue here to add ORCID login to the demo server? https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

Thanks!

Phil

Oliver Bertuch

Dec 19, 2019, 9:06:18 AM12/19/19
to Dataverse Users Community

Falco KUB

Jan 7, 2020, 5:05:44 AM1/7/20
to Dataverse Users Community
First of all, sorry for the late reply and happy new year everyone.

I'm not really familiar with pull request and unfortunately, I cannot help with technical contributions.
But I totally agree that suggestion 1 would already be a big step.