Ingest of Stata files (dta)

Philipp at UiT

May 19, 2020, 12:02:31 PM5/19/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Yesterday, one of our researchers uploaded a 600 MB Stata file (.dta). The file was ingesting for about one day, before Dataverse just now displayed the message that the file is successfully ingested (1153 variables, 510133 observations).
>> Has anyone experienced similarly long ingest periods?

I also uploaded the same file to the Harvard Demo Dataverse (https://demo.dataverse.org/dataset.xhtml?persistentId=doi:10.70122/FK2/HLHYQG; Phil: I gave you curator access to the dataverse). There, file ingest was "completed" much faster (a few minutes), but afterwards, I got the following message:
"Tabular data ingest failed. Ingest failed to produce Summary Statistics and/or UNF signatures; /tmp/tempTabfile.6815203645101011389. (No such file or directory)"
>> Any idea what went wrong?

Best, Philipp

Philip Durbin

May 19, 2020, 1:15:48 PM5/19/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I was able to download the file and get ingest started on my laptop but I only let it run for half an hour so I don't know if it would have completed or not.

A 600 MB Stata file strikes me as somewhat large (half a million observations, like you said) but I'd be curious to hear what's common, if people use the :TabularIngestSizeLimit setting, etc.