External Tool: dataverse-data-explorer

Jamie Jamison

Jun 25, 2019, 2:52:57 PM6/25/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Sorry to ask this but I'm trying to get the Dataverse-Data-Explorer added.  I am not sure how to find my Dataverse database ID - for the {fileid} parameter.

Also, does that refer to the database for the entire dataverse am I adding this individually for each file?

Thank you,

Jamie Jamison

Don Sizemore

Jun 25, 2019, 2:57:21 PM6/25/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi =)

If you're looking at the JSON to enable the Data Explorer as a tool, the only parameter you'll need to modify is toolUrl (to point Dataverse at your Data Explorer instance).

I hope this helps,

Jamie Jamison

Jun 25, 2019, 3:27:05 PM6/25/19
to Dataverse Users Community
For toolUrl I tried "https://test.dataverse.ucla.edu/Dataverse-Data-Explorer/"  I get a host error.    If I leave toolUrl at scholarsportal it runs find but then I get an error for fileID.

I've been reading through the External tool section of dataverse documentation and I'm confused about the perameters - expecially {fileId}

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 2:52 PM Jamie Jamison <jam...@g.ucla.edu> wrote:
Sorry to ask this but I'm trying to get the Dataverse-Data-Explorer added.  I am not sure how to find my Dataverse database ID - for the {fileid} parameter.

Also, does that refer to the database for the entire dataverse am I adding this individually for each file?

Thank you,

Jamie Jamison

Don Sizemore

Jun 25, 2019, 3:35:24 PM6/25/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
It looks like https://test.dataverse.ucla.edu/Dataverse-Data-Explorer/ is being passed to Glassfish.

You'll want to add a line like:

ProxyPassMatch ^/Dataverse-Data-Explorer !

to Apache's SSL configuration to allow it to serve the Data Explorer files directly.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 3:27 PM Jamie Jamison <jam...@g.ucla.edu> wrote:
[...]

James Myers

Jun 25, 2019, 3:39:58 PM6/25/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Jamie,

The parameters like fileId are just telling Dataverse what to put on the URL when sending things to the tool. They are case sensitive.

"fileId": "{fileId}" means Dataverse should send the value for the fileId of the current file as, for example ?fileId=2222 for file 2222 on the URL.

If I replaced that with

"myFileId": "{fileId}" Dataverse would send ?myFileId=2222 on the URL (which would confuse a tool looking for ?fileId=2222), whereas

"fileId": "{someFileId}" would fail since Dataverse doesn’t know how to send ‘someFileId’.

-- Jim

Jamie Jamison

Jun 25, 2019, 4:01:12 PM6/25/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Thank you for the explanation!   This is my first try at adding an external tool so I'm figuring out as I go along. Every step seems to be proceeded with frantic googling.

Jamie Jamison

Jamie Jamison

Jun 25, 2019, 5:53:00 PM6/25/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Actually it is working but popup blocker blocked it.