Retrieve citations of dataset

Yuzhang Han

Nov 23, 2019, 10:38:11 PM11/23/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi there,

I ran this command to retrieve citations of a dataset:

curl "$SERVER_URL/api/datasets/:persistentId/makeDataCount/citations?persistentId=$persistentId"

The environment variables have been set correctly.

And I got this result:

{"status":"OK","data":[]}

Does it means the dataset does not have citation records, or Make Data Count is not activated on the server I requested?

Thanks!

Andrew

Philip Durbin

Nov 25, 2019, 10:28:14 AM11/25/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

It could mean either, unfortunately. :(

That is to say, that "makeDataCount/citations" API endpoint makes no distinction between the following two states:

- The dataset has no citations.
- Dataverse has not been configured to retrieve citations from DataCite (Make Data Count is enabled).

Please feel free to open an issue about this at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

I will say that when Dataverse has been configured for Make Data Count (MDC), it's obvious from the UI if you know what to look for. When MDC is enabled, you can see "View" under "Dataset Metrics" on the dataset landing page. In addition, when MDC is enabled, DOI installations (but not Handle installations) will also have "Citations" under "Dataset Metrics". I don't have a great screenshot handy of the final look but I'll attach a screenshot that's relatively close from https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5253#issuecomment-511572314

I hope this helps,

Phil

oob-vs-mdc.png

fa...@kb.dk

Sep 15, 2020, 5:12:03 AM9/15/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Are there any Dataverse installations that have MDC up and running? Would be interesting to see how it looks like in real life.

Regards,
Falco

Sebastian Karcher

Sep 15, 2020, 7:36:24 AM9/15/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
We have it up, yes, data.qdr.syr.edu
Jim would be able to answer technical questions.

Sent from my phone

fa...@kb.dk

Sep 15, 2020, 8:08:28 AM9/15/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks a lot, it looks great.
Do you by any chance know of a dataset that actually has received citations? I didn't find any doing a short random probe.

James Myers

Sep 15, 2020, 8:22:31 AM9/15/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

https://data.qdr.syr.edu/dataset.xhtml?persistentId=doi:10.5064/F6BUAX58 and https://data.qdr.syr.edu/dataset.xhtml?persistentId=doi:10.5064/F6CN723S are a couple that do.

Also - note that QDR is running a slight modification to show ‘pre-MDC’ counts – normal download counts that occurred prior to having MDC logging enabled. IQSS is currently looking at a way to interpret pre-MDC counts in a best effort manner so they can be directly added to the MDC count total. That involves using the internal guestbookresponse table and logs if available. They’ll provide details on the process once they’ve worked things out (and QDR may/may not adopt that process going forward) but the key point is that, for current Dataverse versions, the MDC display won’t include information about downloads prior to MDC logging being enabled. If those are important for your installation, you may want to turn on MDC logging but still keep the MDC display off until there’s a best practice(s) for handling existing download counts.

-- Jim