Clear dataverse admin notifications

Michel Bamouni

Nov 14, 2018, 11:31:20 AM11/14/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

In my dataverse, after logged as admin I have a lot of notifications and when I try to see these notifications, my dataverse has difficult to displays them because I have over 50000 notifications.
So I want to know, if there is a way to cleanup these notifications

best regards

Michel

Philip Durbin

Nov 15, 2018, 8:00:17 AM11/15/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, this is a known issue and I don't see any workaround mentioned at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2892 which would probably involve manipulating the database directly, which we try to discourage. I would suggest emailing sup...@dataverse.org for advice.

Recently I added the ability to get a list of notifications ( http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.9.4/api/native-api.html#get-all-notifications-by-user ) but since you have so many I expect it will time out and I didn't add a way to delete them via API. If someone wants to work on a pull request to add a "delete notifications via API" feature, I'd be happy to work with him or her on it. Here's where the code lives: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/v4.9.4/src/main/java/edu/harvard/iq/dataverse/api/Notifications.java#L24

Thanks,

Phil

Heppler, Michael

Nov 15, 2018, 11:17:53 AM11/15/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Looking in our GitHub backlog, we have a good number of issues open related to this issue.

- Notifications: page slow to load and results in time-out when many undeleted notifications #2892

- Notifications: send only one notification for each "batch" request access #2891

- Revisit notifications #1336

- Notifications: Customer use case may need subscription model for notifications. #868

Having 50,000 unread messages tells me that the way notifications function in the system currently is not a usable or suitable solution for system/root admins that get an overwhelming number.

Michel, I suggest that you add your use case and any other feedback you have to which ever of those issues best suits your needs. Then hopefully we can review this feature and improve it in an upcoming release.

Cheers.

Mike

Michael Heppler
User Interface Designer + Developer
Institute for Quantitative Social Science
Harvard University
1737 Cambridge Street, Rm K333
Cambridge, MA 02138
617-496-2450