Adding weights to variables

Kevin Worthington

Oct 3, 2017, 2:03:59 PM10/3/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Our user community is hoping to include weights as part of our variable exploration in the Data Explorer and I wonder how best to capture and store this information.
In the Data Explorer I'm currently checking the last variable to see if the name either contains 'weight' or 'wgt' and then showing a button which allows the weights to be turned on and off as can be seen here. It would be nice if this weight variable was assigned more formally and even came with some weighted values for each variable as Nesstar provides. I envision there being a popup for content providers to choose which variable to use as the weight from within Dataverse, which would update the DDI appropriately. Is this something others would benefit from having built into the Dataverse Core?

Kevin

Philip Durbin

Oct 3, 2017, 2:59:52 PM10/3/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I think others would benefit. Kevin, can you please go ahead and create a GitHub issue about this? Thanks!

Phil

Kevin Worthington

Mercè Crosas

Oct 4, 2017, 3:32:24 PM10/4/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,

Thanks for bringing this up. This is something that the ODUM team and others have been interested for a long time. There is another related issue:

John Crabtree - do you want to add anything to this topic?

Merce

----------
Mercè Crosas, Ph.D., Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, IQSS, Harvard University
T:@mercecrosas W:mercecrosas.com

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Kevin Worthington <kwor...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Mercè Crosas

Oct 4, 2017, 3:33:30 PM10/4/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
And this other issue is related too:

Jonathan Crabtree

Oct 4, 2017, 5:08:24 PM10/4/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

I agree it would be useful.

In our case we have two situations.

  1. Existing data in the archive that has a weight associated with it and users need to know what that is and tools need to have a toggle to use weights or not. Might require manual selection of weight by informed user and edit of new metadata tag for variable associated with weight. Could this be crowdsourced and users suggest correct weighted variable then vet them over time?

  1. New data uploaded needs the weights to be identified on ingest either automatically or manually. Maybe a scan of variables as you suggest could be resented to user for verification

This is something we have been wanting for sometime

Thanks

Jon

Thanks Phil