Citation of Dataverse collections (sub-dataverses) - moved to new thread

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Mar 21, 2023, 6:41:27 PM3/21/23
to Dataverse Users Community
hi All
I wanted to know if/how others cited collections.  I provided an example based on a web citation:
Studies of Childhood Education and Youth (SOCEY) Dataverse, 2019, ADA Dataverse, viewed date, https://dataverse.ada.edu.au/dataverse/SOCEY.

Phil Durban notes that there is a  modification timestamp for collections updated on save but is not exposed through the API - only the created timestamp.

A modification timestamp would enable users to compare timestamps for differences but not identify the change explicitly.

As Phil pointed out, my conversation is about citing collections rather than citing the Dataverse software, so I've summarised it in a new thread for further comments (old thread: https://groups.google.com/g/dataverse-community/c/Dy6EB_Su1i0/m/Tmiv30EhCAAJ?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer).

Sebastian Karcher's comment:  As opposed to datasets, collections don't have much metadata, they don't have PIDs, they don't have versioning, and they don't make any claim to stability (items can be moved into and out of dataverses without any visible trace), so they're not citeable items in the same sense as datasets.

Phil Durbin's full comment:  there has been interest in collections having a DOIs (PID): https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/8889.  From a quick look, it does look like the the modification timestamp for collections is updated on save:

It doesn't seem to be exposed via API though (just the "created" timestamp): https://dataverse.harvard.edu/api/dataverses/open-source-at-harvard

Philipp Conzett said 'We currently create metadata records for some sub-collections using DataCite Fabrica, and then add the DOI to the collection landing page. Here is an example: https://doi.org/10.18710/AJ4S-X394.'

thanks