Sustainment model for Dataverse project

Scott Kahn

Jul 12, 2018, 12:06:40 AM7/12/18
to Dataverse Users Community
What is the longer term (5 years out) plan on the sustainment of the Dataverses that currently exist? Is there a block grant for storage and compute infrastructure that will support data in a dataverse whose funding has ended?

Philip Durbin

Jul 12, 2018, 3:26:21 AM7/12/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi! There is a little bit about funding written at https://dataverse.org/about but that page is talking about the *project* not each of the 33 *installations* of Dataverse around the world. I also mention that the word "sustainable" appears twice on the page for the new Global Dataverse Community Consortium (GDCC) which is linked from some notes that were taken during last month's community meeting where one of the breakout groups discussed sustainability and governance ideas: http://goo.gl/Ubw84W

Your question reminds me of a somewhat similar question I attempted to answer a couple years ago at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/WoY87dMgUCA/ZTbACXqKFwAJ but as a developer I'm not especially close to the money or sustainability so I'll defer to others who are. I hope this helps. :)

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 12:06 AM, Scott Kahn <kahn...@gmail.com> wrote:
What is the longer term (5 years out) plan on the sustainment of the Dataverses that currently exist? Is there a block grant for storage and compute infrastructure that will support data in a dataverse whose funding has ended?

Philipp at UiT

Jul 12, 2018, 6:46:15 AM7/12/18
to Dataverse Users Community
As for sustainability of the individual Dataverse installation, several institutions have applied or are going to apply for a CoreTrustSeal. Some installations have already been granted the seal; cf: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dataverse-community/GGrKFwlJGM8. Sustainability issues are part of the certification process; cf. https://www.coretrustseal.org/why-certification/requirements/.

Best,
Philipp (DataverseNO)