Two DOI questions

John Brosz

May 12, 2016, 6:54:10 PM5/12/16
to Dataverse Users Community
I'm setting up Dataverse 4.3 and have a couple of questions related to DOIs.

The first is whether it is possible to "publish" a dataset in dataverse without a DOI?  Right now we're running some test datasets through the system and don't want to mint extraneous DOIs.  I suppose I could switch the DOI JVM authority variable back to the test string and related authority variables but I wondered if there was a way to mark the dataset as not requiring a persistent ID within Dataverse.

The other is that the DOIs auto-registered with DataCite link back to https rather than http . . . and given that we haven't yet configured https certificates, etc is a bit of an issue.  Is there an easy way to have the DOI links register through http?

Thanks!

John Brosz, PhD | Research Data & Visualization Coordinator | Libraries & Cultural Resources, University of Calgary

Philip Durbin

May 13, 2016, 9:57:37 AM5/13/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Let's say you're on a plane or a boat and you have no internet access. You're a developer like me running Dataverse on your laptop. Does the publish button work? No. As the attached screenshot shows, you will see, " Error – This dataset may not be published because it has not been registered. Please contact Dataverse Support for assistance. Please contact Dataverse Support for assistance." This is because with no internet access Dataverse cannot reach out to the persistent identifier service (DOI).

All this is to say that to publish a dataset some sort of valid DOI is required. (Generically, we call this a "persistent ID" because Handle support is coming.)

Now, as you suggest, before you go live you can use the test "authority" that Dataverse uses out of the box and that we use on https://demo.dataverse.org which is "10.5072/FK2" but before you go live you must make arrangements to purchase (or rent, I suppose) a real authority and configure it per: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.3/installation/config.html#authority

I couldn't quickly figure out the http vs. https thing from a quick crawl through the code (which I didn't write) but generally speaking you should, of course, favor https in production to avoid threads like Firesheep: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.3/installation/shibboleth.html#enforce-https . I can understand that you wouldn't want to immediately purchase a real cert, though. Perhaps someone on this list who knows the code better can explain more about how DOI registration works.

I hope this helps. Thanks for kicking the tires on Dataverse! Please keep the questions coming.

Phil

boat.png

Philip Durbin

May 13, 2016, 11:38:40 AM5/13/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Judging from what I'm seeing in the code*, I *think* that if you configure the "dataverse.siteUrl" JVM option for http rather than https (not recommended for security reasons, Firesheep, etc.) per http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.3.1/installation/config.html#dataverse-siteurl then the DataCite links should be http rather than https.

Please give it a try at least. :)

Phil

* These places:

John Brosz

May 13, 2016, 12:11:28 PM5/13/16
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Phil,

Yes, I understand why publish = get a DOI.  With the datacite integration in 4.3 setting up DOI registration worked well . . . just was hoping for a quick switch that would let me turn this off so that test datasets would be viewable to others rather than undoing this configuration and then re-implementing it again later.

Thanks for the looking into the https aspect, I'd tried the fqdn jvm variable but had no luck.  I'll give the siteURL variable a try.  As you mentioned, we're just looking to make use of http while piloting to save a few bucks and the hassle of configuration for the time being.

Cheers,

John