Failed to unpack Zip file. (Unknown Character Set used in a file name?)

Philipp at UiT

Sep 8, 2021, 6:28:17 AM9/8/21
to Dataverse Users Community
I tried to upload about 900 files in two ways:

WAY 1:
A one zip file containing multiple zip files, which again contain multiple folders and subfolders:

outer_zip.zip
|-- zip_1.zip
|-- zip_2.zip
|-- zip_....zip

File size: 18 MB. I got the following message:

"Failed to unpack Zip file. (Unknown Character Set used in a file name?) Saving the file as is."

WAY 2:
On the other hand, I was able to upload all zip files after having zipped them once more:

outer_zip_1.zip
outer_zip_2.zip
outer_zip_....zip

Any idea why WAY 1 didn't work? What does the "Unknown Character Set" message mean?

I have also uploaded the files on demo.datavers.org today (September 8, 2021) between 10:13 and 10:15 UTC and can share a private URL if needed.

Thanks!
Philipp

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Sep 9, 2021, 10:51:56 AM9/9/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Philipp, there's a file in that zip file with a character that may be not recognized by the Dataverse application. I'll include a screenshot here. Can you try to retitle this file and remove the † character?

- Danny

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 10.49.00 AM.png

Philipp at UiT

Sep 10, 2021, 12:18:25 AM9/10/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Ah, of course, thanks, Danny! There was a Scandinavian character (å) in the file name. I didn't get any error message when I uploaded the file directly, without any zip. So it seems that the issue is related to the unzipping feature? I guess best practice is to avoid non-ascii characters in file and folder names anyway.

Philipp