Clicking "Add" when editing metadata closes all metadata blocks other than citation, and deletes all entered info in fields that wasn't already save in fields other than the field that has the add button push

Paul Dante

Jun 7, 2019, 2:09:47 PM6/7/19
to Dataverse Users Community
1) When I click the "Add" plus button when editing metadata, all metadata blocks other than the citation block immediately get closed. This means I have to reopen the non-citation metadata group I'm editing and scroll down to the part of the block I wanted to add a duplicate field to.

2) Unless the metadata were saved first (which then requires one to click the metadata tab and then the edit metadata button to get back to editing the metadata), when the "Add" button is pushed, all fields other than the field that is getting the "Add" are erased.

Between these two, the process of adding metadata can get very frustrating very quickly.  I'm guessing both of these are due to the page getting a full refresh when the "Add" button is pressed. Is there a chance the functionality could be changed to just do a partial refresh such that opened metadata blocks could stay opened and newly typed fields could retain their inputs?

Thanks,
Paul

P.S. I'm using DV v.4.10.1

Heppler, Michael

Jun 7, 2019, 5:22:06 PM6/7/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

Valid points, and thank you for the suggestions and detailing the issues you are having with the metadata block section of the edit dataverse form.

I suggest you move all of these comments into a new issue in our GitHub repository issue tracker, by clicking the large green New Issue button at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues.

Once you've created that, I will follow up to link your issue to other known related issues. This feature could certainly use some attention to improve it.

Thanks.

Mike

Michael Heppler
User Interface Designer + Developer
Institute for Quantitative Social Science, Harvard University
1737 Cambridge Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
www.iq.harvard.edu

Philip Durbin

Jun 7, 2019, 7:43:51 PM6/7/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com