Copy buttons for API Token and Private URL

Dimitri Szabo

Jul 17, 2019, 7:37:10 AM7/17/19
to Dataverse Users Community

Greetings Community,

I recently thought of a minor Quality of Life improvement on Dataverse, but I'd like to know if other people in the Community also think it's worth opening an issue.

When generating an API token and more importantly, I thin it'd be a good idea to have a "Copy to clipboard" button to be able to easily (and without errors) copy the token or private URL you just generated. To clarify a bit, this is an example of this feature on another website, and an example of how I would see this for the API token.

Again that is a small thing but it can come handy, especially for the private URLs which are longer and of course used more often.

Tell me if that's something you'd also like to get in Dataverse and/or if you have others ideas on the topic !

Cheers,

Dimitri

Philip Durbin

Jul 17, 2019, 8:11:29 AM7/17/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dimitri,

Yes, good idea. In a fork of Dataverse by QDR a "copy to clipboard" button has already been implemented for long SHA-512 hashes.

If you go to https://data.qdr.syr.edu/file.xhtml?persistentId=doi:10.5064/F626JGPB/UIWT42&version=1.0 or look at the attached screenshot you can see that a "SHA512" button with a clipboard hides a very long hash: 0dce050f0e3f0361fefdff3410fa01c920c8581061ae84a6821bc9a4d568bece8b6c2c4b4bb837ca90ccedcfcde16a28cfaf8b951cbb7510953af9b78e7d8561

I do think you should create an issue for your idea at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

Thanks,

Phil

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 8.05.10 AM.png

Philip Durbin

Jul 19, 2019, 10:10:06 AM7/19/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for creating this issue:

Copy buttons for API Token and Private URL: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/6039

Again, I like the idea. I sometimes click a button like this on GitHub for copying the URL of a git repo to my clipboard when I want to clone it.