Community Call Feb 12 (Tomorrow) Noon ET

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Feb 11, 2019, 3:43:53 PM2/11/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,

We'll have our regular Community Call tomorrow at Noon ET. If you have topics, please bring them directly to the call, or feel free to update the agenda here:

Call in information:

See everyone soon!

- Danny

Philip Durbin

Feb 13, 2019, 9:46:01 AM2/13/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Nice call yesterday. Here are the notes:

2019-02-12 Dataverse Community Call

Agenda

* User Testing Recruitment
* Community Questions

Attendees

* Danny Brooke (IQSS)
* Derek Murphy (IQSS)
* Jim Myers (QDR)
* Pete Meyer (HMS)
* Péter Király (Göttingen)
* Julian Gautier (IQSS)
* Gustavo Durand (IQSS)
* Sherry Lake (UVA)
* Slava (DANS/DataverseEU)
* Paul (DANS)
* Phil Durbin (IQSS)
* Jon Crabtree (Odum)
* Jamie Jamison (UCLA)

Notes

* User Testing Recruitment
   * Looking for researchers who use GitHub in the course of their research
   * 45 minute session, participant will look at mockups and give feedback
   * If you’re interested or know someone who might be a good fit, email Derek at dlmu...@g.harvard.edu
      * (Jon) We're happy to help.
      * (Jamie/UCLA) We’d also be glad to help
* Community Questions
   * (Jon) Core2 grant - building a tool that allows researchers to verify reproducibility and running code from Github
      * Will share more info, very early on
   * (Pete) Heads up about a container escape vulnerability. This isn't specific to Dataverse. https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-5736
   * (Sherry) New home page available in production: https://dataverse.lib.virginia.edu
      * Upgrading to 4.9.4 on Feb 13 (tomorrow)
      * Issue with links after a change in hierarchy: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5454
      * May want to check ` https://dataverse.lib.virginia.edu/robots.txt ` (currently recommending search engines not index)
   * (Jon) Consortium
      * Can take credit cards now, lots of new inquiries, student has been hired to help move things forward, external advisory board forming
      * A form will be going up soon to capture suggestions for advisory board members
      * Consortium GitHub organization has been created: https://github.com/GlobalDataverseCommunityConsortium
   * (Péter) Question about Core Trust Seal for Göttingen. Who can I talk to?
      * (Jon) Odum is working on it, have been talking to Harvard.
      * (Phil) QDR ( https://qdr.syr.edu , https://www.coretrustseal.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Qualitative-Data-Repository.pdf ) and Tilburg ( https://blog.uvt.nl/rs/2018/06/tilburg-university-dataverse-receives-coretrustseal-certification/ ) have the Core Trust Seal certification.
      * (Jon) Check out the extended guidance on the Core Trust Seal site
      * (Jon) Happy to talk with any people about proposals in progress
   * (Péter) Custom metadata schemas. We have to update the Solr schema. Conflicts when Dataverse updates the schema. Any plans to move to a dynamic schema.
      * (Pete) I apply a diff. (manual custom schema.xml vs distribution schema.xml ; apply when distribution schema.xml gets updated)
      * (Phil) I've been thinking we should be using the Solr API to programmatically create fields. As you suggest, an alternative would be to make all the fields dynamic. Maybe create a GitHub issue? This does sound painful. The decision to use Solr instead of ElasticSearch, which is schemaless, was fairly arbitrary. At the time, Solr was much better known.
   * (Jon) We're meeting soon (Thursday afternoon?) to talk about external storage for Dataverse, Trusted Remote Storage Agents (TRSA), etc.
      * (Pete) sounds interesting
   * (Danny) Proposal form is open for 2019 Dataverse Community Meeting: https://dataverse.org/events