Monitoring JVM using JMX

Matías Barra

Jul 12, 2024, 12:06:38 PM (10 days ago) Jul 12
to Dataverse Users Community

Hello,

In our organization, we have been working on implementing our organizational Dataverse. Currently, we are looking for a way to monitor the JVM usage of our Dataverse container. As I am not a Java expert, I find it a bit confusing how JMX and Payara interact to send metrics. Therefore, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am working locally on a dockerized Dataverse, following this documentation: Monitoring Payara Server with JConsole. I disabled security in the Payara admin console and attempted to connect VisualVM using localhost and port 8686, but it didn't work: docker-compose.yml

I am not sure if I missed a step or if there is a missing configuration. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

o.be...@fz-juelich.de

Jul 14, 2024, 4:57:33 PM (8 days ago) Jul 14
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Matias!

The easiest way forward is using the Prometheus Metrics endpoint /metrics. See https://docs.payara.fish/community/docs/Technical%20Documentation/MicroProfile/Metrics/Metrics%20Rest%20Endpoint.html for deets.

Another way forward is to activate the JMX exporters. In our GDCC images, you can enable those by setting the env var "ENABLE_JMX=1" (See https://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/container/base-image.html#tunables).
You might be interested in combining that with https://github.com/prometheus/jmx_exporter or https://jolokia.org.

It definitely is a lot more work to go for the full JMX thing. If the builtin /metrics suffice, I strongly suggest going with it first.

You are also very welcome to start a discussion at https://dataverse.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/375812-containers and share your experiences!

Cheers,
Oliver

Don Sizemore

Jul 15, 2024, 9:16:34 AM (8 days ago) Jul 15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
As you determine your optimal Prometheus configuration, you would be
most welcome to submit suggestions/contributions to the (old) code
here:
https://github.com/gdcc/dataverse-ansible/blob/develop/tasks/prometheus.yml

Thank you,
Don