Shibboleth/Dataverse Network integration

Philip Durbin

Feb 7, 2013, 10:39:54 AM2/7/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dataverse Network Community,

I will be hosting a public meeting in #dvn on irc.freenode.net about
how best to integrate Shibboleth into the Dataverse Network code base
on Wednesday, February 13 at 2pm EST. Logs will be available at
http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dvn/2013-02-13

I'm writing to invite all interested parties to participate!

As http://shibboleth.net says, "Shibboleth is among the world's most
widely deployed federated identity solutions, connecting users to
applications both within and between organizations."

If you're familiar with OAuth or OpenID, Shibboleth is somewhat
similar. If all goes well, (someday!) Dataverse Network administrators
will be able to choose to have their users authenticate against
Shibboleth rather than local passwords stored within a Dataverse
Network.

There are many details to work out, and I'm sure it will take more
than one meeting, but this will be the first. :)

The agenda will be:

- summarizing how authentication works in a Dataverse Network today
- reaching a common understanding of what Shibboleth is
- roughing out a plan for how to integrate Shibboleth into the DVN
- discussing implications of Shibboleth integration

I'll post a summary to this ticket after the meeting:
https://redmine.hmdc.harvard.edu/issues/2657

I hope many of you are able to participate, bringing opinions and
expertise. Since I'm relatively new to Shibboleth, you can have a big
impact on how the integration with DVN is implemented! The easiest way
to join the meeting will be via
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=dvn

Thanks,

Phil

p.s. Here's the permalink for the meeting in the unlikely event it
needs to be rescheduled:

https://www.google.com/calendar/event?eid=dDM1dDVlMDY5Z3MybWNkOTlmZTVyZGpjMG8gcGhpbGlwZHVyYmluQG0&ctz=America/New_York

--
Philip Durbin
Software Developer for http://thedata.org

Stephen Marks

Feb 7, 2013, 11:42:11 AM2/7/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil--

This is definitely of interest to us here at Scholars Portal, so I will be there! (I may be a bit late coming from another meeting though.)

Philip Durbin

Feb 7, 2013, 11:50:33 AM2/7/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Great! No worries, you can catch up with the IRC log and join in later.

Speaking of which... I've been thinking about sending a separate email
about this but...

People are welcome to hang out in #dvn any time, really...

I haven't written up any rules for the channel but it exists and I use
it (I started it and set up the logging).

For support everyone should continue to write to
dvn_s...@help.hmdc.harvard.edu but if anyone has a quick question I
can answer, please feel free to ask in #dvn on Freenode and I may be
there. No promises! I'm trying to spend most of my time coding up
great new features for you. :)

Phil

Philip Durbin

Feb 7, 2013, 1:41:22 PM2/7/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to mention that I forwarded the message below to the
Shibboleth mailing list and Scott Cantor, who has been active in the
design of Shibboleth, has already replied with some nice insight:

http://shibboleth.net/pipermail/users/2013-February/008035.html

Phil

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Philip Durbin

Philip Durbin

Feb 8, 2013, 12:13:55 PM2/8/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I will be using an IRC bot (probably "zodbot") to produce meeting
minutes like this:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/dvn/2013-02-08/dvn.2013-02-08-16.33.html

I just don't want people to be confused by me typing #startmeeting,
#topic, #info, #action, etc.

If you're into this sort of thing and want to use these commands too,
please see http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot

The snow is coming down. Have a good weekend, everyone!

Phil

Philip Durbin

Feb 13, 2013, 9:01:35 AM2/13/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello! I just wanted to remind everyone that 5 hours from now (at 2
p.m. EST) I'll be hosting a public meeting about integrating
Shibboleth into the DVN that will be logged at
http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dvn/2013-02-13

Again, the easiest way to join in and be heard is with
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=dvn but you can use clients such
as Pidgin or Adium as well.

Everyone is welcome!

Phil

p.s. We survived the snow in Boston. :)

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Philip Durbin

Philip Durbin

Feb 13, 2013, 3:37:20 PM2/13/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Here are the minutes from today's meeting about Shibboleth integration with DVN:

http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/dvn/2013-02-13/dvn.2013-02-13-19.01.html

The full log of the conversation starts here:

http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dvn/2013-02-13#i_747

Thanks, everyone!

Please keep an eye on https://redmine.hmdc.harvard.edu/issues/2657 for
more updates.

Phil

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Philip Durbin