Any v. 4.X Sites out there? Customizations?

Sherry Lake

Aug 20, 2015, 11:14:58 AM8/20/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Am wondering if there are any other (besides Harvard) Dataverse sites running 4.X?

UVa has installed v. 4.0.1 in a test environment. I am looking for help on configurations (such as banner text; images; metadata field - requirements, extra context; others?).

Elizabeth, would you be the one to talk to about site specific customizations? I was hoping that things we wanted to do were in a config file somewhere. Note: I have not looked "under the hood", our DVN was installed by one of our sys admins & I have not had the chance to sit down and browse. I thought it would be helpful if I knew where to look first.

Thanks.
Sherry Lake

Philip Durbin

Aug 20, 2015, 11:53:19 AM8/20/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sherry!

From any dataverse page you can click "Edit" and then "Theme + Widgets" as described at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.0.1/user/dataverse-management.html

I'll attach a screenshot of what it looks like.

I hope this helps get you started! I'm glad you're kicking the tires on Dataverse 4!

Phil

Theme_+_Widgets_-_Harvard_Dataverse_-_2015-08-20_11.49.45.png

Sherry Lake

Aug 20, 2015, 12:51:38 PM8/20/15
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
OK, that makes sense.... but now I have lots more questions. Here's a couple, or more?.

So with my brand new DVN, I as dataverseAdmin, customize the "root" dataverse.
Then I publish the root dataverse? Can I publish an "empty" DV?

Do I have to set permissions on the root DV so users can add datasets and/or additional DVs?

I have questions about metadata fields and browse/search facets, but am trying to formulate my "real" questions. Something along the lines of:
How can I edit the selection of metadata fields?
How can I make additional fields required?
How could we create additional metadata fields (and "group" them, i.e., Archaeology)

We at UVa would like to limit the types of fields, if possible (knowing that there are certain required fields needed for DV - citation fields that we can't change).

And have all of the above edits, propagate down to the new DVs that will get created.

Thanks for any and all help. Have JUST started kicking the tires!!

Sherry

On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 11:53:19 AM UTC-4, Philip Durbin wrote:
Hi Sherry!

From any dataverse page you can click "Edit" and then "Theme + Widgets" as described at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.0.1/user/dataverse-management.html

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Sherry Lake <shla...@gmail.com> wrote:
Am wondering if there are any other (besides Harvard) Dataverse sites running 4.X?

UVa has installed v. 4.0.1 in a test environment. I am looking for help on configurations (such as banner text; images; metadata field - requirements, extra context; others?).

Elizabeth, would you be the one to talk to about site specific customizations? I was hoping that things we wanted to do were in a config file somewhere. Note: I have not looked "under the hood", our DVN was installed by one of our sys admins & I have not had the chance to sit down and browse. I thought it would be helpful if I knew where to look first.

Thanks.
Sherry Lake

Ben Companjen

Aug 20, 2015, 12:53:37 PM8/20/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sherry,

DANS is also running 4 (currently 4.1) in a test environment for DataverseNL. I've asked for help in customising the site-wide layout, such as the "Dataverse" text in the menu bar, https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2003, and all configuration options, at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2283

These issues are still open, but you've noticed that the team is pretty responsive if you ask specific questions :)

In general I think the possibilities for customising the layout of dataverses or datasets are fewer than in v3.x. As far as I know the option to put custom HTML in the header is gone.

I just noticed your reply to Phil's mail, which I think Elizabeth can answer best :)

Groeten van Ben

Elizabeth Quigley

Aug 20, 2015, 1:31:41 PM8/20/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Sherry (and Ben),

I'll go item by item to answer you. Let me know if you need more details, clarifications, or have other questions!

1) Majority of customizations are able to be done through the UI (including the branding and selecting metadata fields). As Ben mentioned, he has submitted a ticket request to be able to change the customization across the site so the fixed header would be able to say something other than Dataverse as it does now. That to me seems like a great thing to add to the Network Admin/System Admin/Utilities/System Settings tab we are working on gathering feedback for and designing (survey found here: https://harvard.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8qcaOi0EO2dkK8Z) instead of it being an under the hood configuration.

2) You can absolutely publish an empty DV in v4.x. The significant change from v3.x to v4.x is that you must have your dataverse published in order for datasets within it to be published.

3) Metadata questions:
  • you can edit which metadata fields are displayed for a dataverse in two ways 1) when you create a dataverse, there is a metadata fields section to the form and 2) you can always go back to and change those by clicking the Edit button on the Dataverse page and selecting General Information.
  • You can determine which metadata fields within a schema are hidden or optional on the General Information page as well.
  • Also, this is where you would select which additional metadata fields you would like to have as required fields. By making a metadata field required, the metadata field will now show up on the Create Dataset form when a user clicks Add Data->New Dataset.
  • Creating new metadata schemas for Dataverse has to be done through an API. We use .tsv files for it that have been reviewed and tried out in a test branch before being added to the system through an API. I'd recommend emailing sup...@dataverse.org for more information on this. We should also add it to the installation guide as I'm noticing it isn't there.
  • To allow the metadata fields you've selected at the root level of your installation to propagate down, all that needs to happen is any dataverses created under the root have the inherit from dataverse above box selected (which it is by default). Does that make sense?
4) Customization of banner is done as Phil mentioned above within the Widget + Theme dropdown. You can also use those widgets to show a listing of the dataverse or a specific dataverse on other sites.

5) This is a question from me to you! You mention extra context in your first note, do you mind clarifying what you mean by that?

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have other questions.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Quigley

User Experience Lead

Data Science @ IQSS

Harvard University

http://datascience.iq.harvard.edu/

equi...@iq.harvard.edu

On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 12:53:37 PM UTC-4, Ben Companjen wrote:
Hi Sherry,

DANS is also running 4 (currently 4.1) in a test environment for DataverseNL. I've asked for help in customising the site-wide layout, such as the "Dataverse" text in the menu bar, https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2003, and all configuration options, at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2283

These issues are still open, but you've noticed that the team is pretty responsive if you ask specific questions :)

In general I think the possibilities for customising the layout of dataverses or datasets are fewer than in v3.x. As far as I know the option to put custom HTML in the header is gone.

I just noticed your reply to Phil's mail, which I think Elizabeth can answer best :)

Groeten van Ben

Sherry Lake

Aug 24, 2015, 11:43:08 AM8/24/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to "play" around with the root DV settings to see exactly what you are describing.

As for your question to me (your #5 below), I think you answered it in describing how one would go about adding a new metadata schema (content) and new fields to existing metadata. I haven't tried any of this, but one question I have now is if we wanted to make a few more fields required, how would we make those propagate down through the DV network and make them required for all, not editable (like the citation fields are now... these can't be changed at any DV level, "Required by Dataverse").

Sherry

Elizabeth Quigley

Aug 25, 2015, 4:21:34 PM8/25/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Sherry,

I asked the development team about how an installation could go about making more metadata fields, Required by Dataverse, and Gustavo will be following up with an answer.

Let me know if you have any more questions once you start playing around. Glad to answer them.

Elizabeth

Durand, Gustavo

Aug 25, 2015, 4:27:21 PM8/25/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sherry,

There are a couple ways of doing this:

- as Elizabeth explained, at any dataverse, you can select any metadata fields to be required. If any children dataverses are created and inherit the metadata fields, they will also be required. However, if they decide to customize their fields, they can set them to not be required.

But I think what you want is:

- if you want them to always be required, you can change their required flag in the database to be required (that is what the citation fields do). Please note, though, you shouldn't change any of the currently required ones to be not required, as the application expects this. Also, when we finally fo have harvesting, note that his will not require harvested study to have those fields.

Hope this helps!

Gustavo