DataCite membership vs consortium

Deirdre Kirmis

Sep 11, 2020, 12:41:51 PM9/11/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Hi all! We are at the point of wanting to make our DataCite membership real in order to assign DOIs. Wondering about other orgs experience with direct membership vs membership through the GDCC? Obviously there are benefits to being a part of the consortium but just wondering what other experiences are and if there are any advantages/disadvantages either way?

Night Owl

Philipp at UiT

Sep 14, 2020, 2:31:18 AM9/14/20
to Dataverse Users Community

Hi! DataverseNO (https://dataverse.no/) doesn't get its DOIs via GDCC, but we don't have a direct membership with DataCite either. Instead, we get our DOIs through the Norwegian Directorate for ICT and Joint Services in Higher Education and Research (short: Unit), which is the Norwegian DOI provider/coordinator.

Best, Philipp

o.be...@fz-juelich.de

Sep 14, 2020, 11:02:34 AM9/14/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Deirdre,

we made Forschungszentrum Jülich a direct member since 2019-07. Providing DataCite accounts to multiple repositories, there was no way around this.
Formerly, we could mint DataCite DOIs via TIB (www.tib.eu), but around the end of 2018 it became inevitable that the DataCite cost model would need to change towards more direct members.
Eventually at about the same time we asked for becoming a direct member because of our multi-repo necessity.

Since 2020, the DataCite cost model changed significantly (https://datacite.org/feemodel.html) with a slow-start DOI fee etc. You might have a small financial benefit from becoming part of a consortium like GDCC.
From a technical view on all of this, there is no real difference. You can administrate your repository area on your own once created in a nice web UI. That's pretty much it.

Best,
Oliver