How to have dataverse metrics

Michel Bamouni

Apr 1, 2019, 9:59:04 AM4/1/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

I have a dataverse in production since 2018 and I want to get metrics from my dataverse.
I planned to install miniverse but I see in this post that miniverse will no longer be updated by IQSS and Dataverse-Metrics  seems to be the new tool to get metrics from dataverse.
So I want to know what is the best way to get metrics from dataverse? is it better to install miniverse or Dataverse-Metrics?

Best regards,

Michel

Philip Durbin

Apr 1, 2019, 11:10:39 AM4/1/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
dataverse-metrics is the newest of five reporting tools for Dataverse mentioned at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.12/admin/reporting-tools.html

(In that thread you linked to, Danny is asking if there are any more reporting tools we forgot about or haven't listed on that page. Most of these tools are contributed by the community so thank you!)

dataverse-metrics should be pretty quick to install and evaluate as long as you're running Dataverse 4.9 or higher (when the Metrics API was introduced). It's just a little Python to download six metrics from one or more installations of Dataverse and a static HTML page that visualizes the six metrics (stored as TSV files) with d3plus (a Javascript library). I'm eager to find out if installations of Dataverse find it useful and if you have any issues installing it, please open an issue or otherwise let us know. UNC is hosting the installation of dataverse-metrics that is embedded in an iframe at https://dataverse.org/metrics (thanks!) and Don Sizemore and I from UNC are chatting about it now if you'd like to join us at http://chat.dataverse.org (#dataverse on freenode IRC). A pro tip is that if you get dataverse-metrics installed you could reconfigure your :MetricsUrl setting to point to it: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.12/installation/config.html#metricsurl

miniverse is technically two projects in one git repo:

- A Django application that uses a read only database user to connect to a live installation of Dataverse to report metrics and do some other health checks and such.
- A Django application that powers the map of Dataverse installations around the world.

We're pretty fond of our map, so we'll continue to keep it running but as Danny said, IQSS is not putting any effort into the rest of the miniverse code base. From looking at miniverse forks on GitHub it looks like some new development has continued over at https://github.com/Dans-labs/miniverse/branches so you might want to take a look at that fork by DANS.

I hope this helps! Please keep the questions coming!

Thanks!

Phil

Michel Bamouni

Apr 2, 2019, 7:02:11 AM4/2/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Philip,

Thanks for your return.
I think, I will install Dataverse-Metrics rather than miniverse.

Best regards,

Michel