Branding Installation

Venkatachalam Kannadasan

Oct 6, 2017, 5:11:22 AM10/6/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi

I am trying to use the branding your installation option to load up a customized html page. Our dataverse installation has Glassfish fronted with Apache. I have copied all the files (css, js, img, html) to the folder /var/www/html/dataverse/branding. But the homepage shows up without the image, css and js files.

Can you please let me know how to make it work with Apache fronting Glassfish?

Thanks and Regards
Venki

Sherry Lake

Oct 6, 2017, 7:45:47 AM10/6/17
to Dataverse Users Community
The location for the custom files is here:
/var/www/dataverse/branding      (your folder has an extra directory "html").

Then you have to run the curl commands to let the program know the files are there. See this section of the Configuration Guide: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/installation/config.html#branding-your-installation

--
Sherry Lake

Pete Meyer

Oct 6, 2017, 10:03:53 AM10/6/17
to Dataverse Users Community
I think that the path to the directory of branding files can be changed depending on the value used in the curl call (aka `curl -X PUT -d "/var/www/html/dataverse/branding/custom_footer.html" http://localhost:8080/api/admin/settings/:FooterCustomizationFile"` should work if that's the location on disk).  But I haven't tested this, so I could be wrong.

If there are more custom files than header html, footer html, and css (images, additional javascript, etc); I'm pretty sure those will need to be served directly from apache.

Best,
Pete

Sherry Lake

Oct 6, 2017, 10:53:31 AM10/6/17
to Dataverse Users Community
I didn't test other directories. I just followed the instructions.

For images that I wanted to include on my customization page (headers/footers/homepage), I put them in the dataverse logo directory, that Dataverse already knows about as described on the "Custom Navbar Logo" setting:

/usr/loca/glassfish4/glassfish/domains/domain1/docroot/logos/navbar

Venkatachalam Kannadasan

Oct 6, 2017, 10:34:48 PM10/6/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Thank you Pete Meyer and Sherry Lake.

I did like what Sherry Lake did, put all .js, .css and image files under the logos folder and it worked well.

Thank you both for the reply.

-Venki

Venkatachalam Kannadasan

Oct 13, 2017, 5:45:55 AM10/13/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Dear all

I have done the branding for my development instance but it doesn't show up well. I am not sure whether I am missing something here.

I have created the four files along with the necessary css and image files (custom-header, footer, homepage and stylesheet). But the header and footer doesn't replace the existing header and footer. So now I have kind of two headers and two footers. Is this the expected behavior? Can someone help please?

In case if you are not able to access our development server, I have attached the screenshots here.

Thanks

Venki

Philip Durbin

Oct 13, 2017, 7:16:21 AM10/13/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it's expected that when you use a custom header or a custom footer an additional horizontal band is added rather than replacing anything that's there. I'm realizing that http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.8/installation/config.html#branding-your-installation doesn't explain this but I can remember back to mockups that made this clear. I'm not sure if "horizontal band" is the right term to use.

I can't access your development server so thanks for sending the screenshots. The footer looks good. Obviously, elements on your page are being shoved to the right on your header. I'm not sure why.

I hope this helps,

Phil