Migrating from DSpace to Dataverse

Philipp Conzett

Mar 17, 2024, 8:02:33 AMMar 17
to Dataverse Users Community
We'be been invited to hold a couple of Dataverse workshops in Estonia. The participants have provide some questions in beforehand. Among other things, they wonder about this:

1. When moving from another repository software to Dataverse, how can existing DOIs be integrated with Dataverse?
To my understanding, an existing DOI can be added to the metadata field Other Identifier, but is it also possible to use the existing DOI as the primary PID when migrating the dataset to a Dataverse installation?

2. Has there been successful migrations from DSpace to Dataverse and if so, is there shared knowledge and guidance on how the process was managed? I've found an older discussion thread about migrating data from DSpace to Dataverse. Are there more recent examples?

Any input is highly appreciated!

Best, Philipp

Don Sizemore

Mar 17, 2024, 8:14:23 AMMar 17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello Philipp!

Jim's Multiple PID provider pull request was merged during the DCM and will be available in v6.2: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/10234

I'll leave others to respond on DSpace.

Thank you,
Don

Philipp Conzett

Mar 18, 2024, 9:39:49 AMMar 18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello Don!

Thank you for your reply! Please allow me a couple of follow-up questions:

1) When using the "import" API endpoint, as you say, the existing PID will be preserved. Will it be the only PID, or will the primary PID be the default PID for new datasets in the new Dataverse installation and the preserved PID will be stored in the Other Identifier field?

2) Let's say your old repository used DOIs from DataCite, can you then use the same DataCite account including the existing DOI prefix in the new Dataverse installation, so that new datasets published in the new Dataverse installation would have the same DOI prefix as in the old repository?

Best, Philipp

Philip Durbin

Mar 20, 2024, 5:09:09 PMMar 20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure the migrated PID will be the primary one.

Yes, you should be able to use the same DataCite account after switching from DSpace to Dataverse.

I'm also interested in stories of recent migrations. We should make it as easy as possible. Perhaps we should even have a Migration Guide!

Philipp Conzett

Mar 21, 2024, 5:59:05 AMMar 21
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks, Phil, that's useful information for communities considering migrating to Dataverse.