Inheriting roles from dataverse to dataset level

Leif Longva

May 11, 2016, 5:48:13 AM5/11/16
to Dataverse Users Community

In our 4.3 test installation of Dataverse access permissions/roles at the dataverse level seem to be inherited to the dataset level. If you enter into a dataset as admin, and you then go to Edit > Permissions > Dataset, I would expect to see a list of those who are assigned a role for this dataset, most often this would be the role Contributor for the creator of the dataset. But instead I get a list of all roles assigned at the dataverse level within the dataverse in question. For instance all “common” users in the Dataverse are here listed with the Dataset Creator role. Can this inheritance feature be switched off, or is this a bug that will be fixed?

Yours,

Leif Longva

UiT The Arctic University of Norway

Philip Durbin

May 11, 2016, 6:33:13 AM5/11/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leif,

Would you be able to attach a screenshot of what you're looking at? I think this will help us understand. It sounds like at the very least what you see is confusing or at least unexpected so you're welcome to open an issue and upload the screenshot there.

I know some work went into a "permissions UX" branch at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/tree/2572-permissions-ux but it hasn't been merged and I don't think it changes anything with inheritance. There's some related chatter at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2255

Thanks,

Phil

Leif Longva

May 11, 2016, 7:30:53 AM5/11/16
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu

Thank you Phil

Please see enclosed, from our 4.2.3 test-version (it is still the same in 4.3) When I, as Dataverse Admin try to look at permissions for a single dataset (at root), all users with various roles in root are listed. Even users with no access to this dataset are listed. Should the list not be limited to those users who have access to do something with the actual dataset?

Leif

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:48 AM, Leif Longva <leif....@uit.no> wrote:

In our 4.3 test installation of Dataverse access permissions/roles at the dataverse level seem to be inherited to the dataset level. If you enter into a dataset as admin, and you then go to Edit > Permissions > Dataset, I would expect to see a list of those who are assigned a role for this dataset, most often this would be the role Contributor for the creator of the dataset. But instead I get a list of all roles assigned at the dataverse level within the dataverse in question. For instance all “common” users in the Dataverse are here listed with the Dataset Creator role. Can this inheritance feature be switched off, or is this a bug that will be fixed?

Yours,

Leif Longva

UiT The Arctic University of Norway

DV4_permissionillustration.png

Philip Durbin

May 11, 2016, 8:01:12 AM5/11/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
The screenshot is extremely helpful. Thanks.

So you're creating a dataset in the root and when you look at the permissions for that dataset you see roles that have been assigned in the dataset's parent, which is the root dataverse. This is expected.

I guess my first thought is that since you :authenticated-users (Anyone with a Dataverse account) has the "Dataset Creator" role at the root dataverse, having the same role ("Dataset Creator") assigned to individuals at the root dataverse is redundant. @LeifLong, for example, already has the "Dataset Creator" role due to being one of the :authenticated-users.

As for who has access to that dataset in the root, I'm pretty sure all those roles are meaningful and legitimate. That is to say, anyone who is a Curator at the root dataverse can probably publish datasets in the root. Contributors can edit them. If these people are part of your team this is fine but you probably don't want end users editing each other's datasets.

There's a section on permissions at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.3/user/dataverse-management.html but probably some more explanation should be added.

I hope this is helping. I'd be curious to hear what other people who have installed Dataverse 4 and have been playing with permissions think about all this. I know the University of Virginia doesn't let their authors have a role higher than "Contributor" which means I need to go fix https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/1070 :) . There's flexibility and complexity in Dataverse 4 permissions.

Phil

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 7:30 AM, Leif Longva <leif....@uit.no> wrote:

[...]

Leif Longva

May 11, 2016, 8:59:17 AM5/11/16
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
What is most confusing is that e.g. our user @Udmurt01 is listed as a "Dataset Creator" in this list of "Dataset Permissions". @Udmurt01 has no role or permissions in this particular dataset. So it looks like all users with any role in root are listed in this list of "Dataset Permissions", which looks like a bug. I would expect only users that do have a role with permissions regarding the particular dataset should have been listed.

Leif

Philip Durbin

May 11, 2016, 9:47:28 AM5/11/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hmm. You're right. It's weird. When you are looking at the permissions of a dataset, how valuable is it for you to be given a list of people who can create a dataset ("Dataset Creator" role) in the same container (dataverse) that your dataset happens to live in? It's probably Too Much Information. In fact, at the dataset level perhaps the rule should be that if you don't see a role listed under "Roles" (which you have to expand, I'll attach a screenshot from 4.2.3) then you shouldn't see the role listed under "Users/Groups" because the role doesn't apply. That is to say that out of the box there are five permissions that apply at the dataset level (listed under "Roles" in the screenshot)...

- Admin
- Contributor
- Curator
- File Downloader
- Member

(Yesterday we were debating whether we could stop showing "Admin" at the dataset level since "Curator" has equivalent permissions at the dataset level, but this is a little beside the point.)

... and below are additional permissions that are shown at the dataset level that don't actually apply at the dataset level. If we decide this is a bug (or at least causes confusion), we could look into changing the code so they are not displayed under permissions at the dataset level:

- Dataset Creator (AddDataset permission)
- Dataverse Creator (AddDataverse permission)
- Dataverse + Dataset Creator (AddDataverse and AddDataset permission)

Dataset Creator is confusing because why do I care who can create datasets in the dataverse that my dataset lives in? If I want this information, I'll go up a level and look at the permissions on the parent dataverse... hmm, unless this isn't possible because I don't have ManageDataversePermissions (because I'm not an "Admin") at the dataverse (root or otherwise) in which my dataset lives... end users wouldn't be "Admin" at the root dataverse. There's at least one installation that doesn't let authors be "Admin" or "Curator". So maybe that's why "Dataset Creator" is shown... in case you're wondering who else can create datasets in the dataverse your dataset lives in. Maybe it's a feature. :)

Dataverse Creator doesn't make a lot of sense to show at the dataset level because dataverses can't be created inside datasets.

Dataverse + Dataset Creator perhaps should still be shown if we decide (as I'm puzzling about above) that it's a feature to know who can create datasets next to yours (in the same dataverse).

Phew! Permissions. What do others think? I think I need to go lie down. :)

Phil

Permissions_-_This_dataset_is_in_the_root_dataverse_-_2016-05-11_09.26.28.png

Philipp UiT

May 11, 2016, 10:40:28 AM5/11/16
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Philip,

I'm a colleague of Leif, also working with our Dataverse installation.

The issue here is not primarily about displaying the roles at the dataset level, but on how roles are inherited from the dataverse level to the dataset level. As I see it, there is a bug somewhere, either in the software, or it could be due to unproper installation/configuration by us.

If I'm not mistaken, in the Harvard Dataverse, right after creating an account, "common" users will i.a. be able to
- create a dataset right under the Harvard Dataverse (= the root dataverse),
- create a sub dataverse (and after that a sub-sub dataverse and so on; once the have created a sub dataverse, they will automatically be the administrator of this sub dataverse),
- edit their datasets and sub dataverses
- publish their datasets

Doesn't this mean that "common" users must be given the curator role in the Harvard Dataverse (= the root dataverse)? If this is correct, and the Hardvard Dataverse is behaving like our 4.3 test installation, than "common" user A is able to go to dataset B1 created by user B and modify it, because user A's curator role at the root level is automatically inherited to the dataset level (meaning ALL datasets under root, no matter who created them. I cannot imagine that the Harvard Dataverse is working like this. So I think there must be a way of configuring whether user roles should be inherited from the dataverse level to the dataset level.

Best,
Philipp

Philip Durbin

May 11, 2016, 10:56:33 AM5/11/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Here's the key... in your root dataverse (or any dataverse, really) you can choose whether "common" users are granted the "Contributor" role (the default) or the "Curator" role on the datasets they create within that dataverse. This role is granted on the dataset level. The root dataverse at https://dataverse.harvard.edu is configured the non-default way, which is to say that if a user signs up for an account and creates a dataset in the root dataverse, they get the "Curator" role for the dataset they created. This allows the user to publish their own dataset and manage the permissions on their dataset (things that a "Contributor" can't do).

The question is phrased this way: "What should be the default role for someone adding datasets to this dataverse?" Here's a screenshot: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.3/_images/dv3.png

Some subdataverses of https://dataverse.harvard.edu (not the root) only allow "common" users to create datasets but not publish them, which is to say that the users get the "Contributor" role. A common use case for this is a dataverse for a journal where the journal editors want the authors to click "Submit for Review" rather than "Publish". Then the journal editor has reviewers look at the dataset. After the journal editor has feedback from reviewers, the journal editor (who has the "Curator" or "Admin" role on their dataverse) clicks the "Publish" button, not the "common" user, the person with the "Contributor" role. I actually just yesterday made a pull request for a feature called "Private URL" that reviewers can click to make this easier (so reviewers don't have to create a Dataverse account): https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/3111

I hope this helps,

Phil

Ben Companjen

May 24, 2016, 10:51:33 AM5/24/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

After I read yesterday's email from Sherry Lake, I suddenly understood what Phil had written in this discussion: that there are contributor/curator roles at both the dataverse level and the dataset level – and you can't (easily) see the difference in the permissions view.

It reminded me of the issue that I had raised on the unclear relationship between the Edit Access panel and Users/Groups panel in the dataverse permissions page. I added my "epiphany" as a comment: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2255#issuecomment-221291334

Ben

Durand, Gustavo

May 24, 2016, 10:56:50 AM5/24/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
One thing to clarify - there is only one contributor role and one curator role. It's just that they can be assigned at either dataverse or dataset level.

Assigning at the dataverse allows that user to be that role for all datasets (and files for that matter, if you want to assign FileDownloader role), existing or newly created, since it's inherited.

The curator role also allows some extra permissions at the dataverse level, mainly add new dataverses and datasets, and see view unpublished dataverses.

Gustavo

From: Dataverse-community <dataverse...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Philip Durbin <philip...@harvard.edu>
Date: woensdag 11 mei 2016 16:56
To: Dataverse-community <dataverse...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Dataverse-Users] Inheriting roles from dataverse to dataset level

Here's the key... in your root dataverse (or any dataverse, really) you can choose whether "common" users are granted the "Contributor" role (the default) or the "Curator" role on the datasets they create within that dataverse. This role is granted on the dataset level. The root dataverse at https://dataverse.harvard.edu is configured the non-default way, which is to say that if a user signs up for an account and creates a dataset in the root dataverse, they get the "Curator" role for the dataset they created. This allows the user to publish their own dataset and manage the permissions on their dataset (things that a "Contributor" can't do).

Phil

Philipp UiT

May 30, 2016, 3:15:38 AM5/30/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks for claryfying this. After testing different user permission settings some weeks ago, I finally understood how it works (I think). I am adding a pdf where I describe how configuration of user permissions works in 4.3. Please notify me if I got things wrong. Best, Philipp

ConfigurationDataversePermissions.pdf

Philip Durbin

May 31, 2016, 9:27:01 AM5/31/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philipp, your PDF makes sense to me and I don't see any inaccuracies. In a previous post* I argued with myself whether what you're saying is a bug (what I called "Too Much Information") could be considered a feature or not. :)

You might want to consider making a pull request against the User Guide where permissions are explained: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/develop/doc/sphinx-guides/source/user/dataverse-management.rst#permissions

Phil

* https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/XjodQ6bQjFg/SBpYoX6LCAAJ

p.s. If it's of interest, here is where the Curator role is defined: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/v4.3.1/scripts/api/data/role-curator.json . I find it interesting that a Curator gets the PublishDataset permission but not the PublishDataverse permission. Only the "Admin" role gets the PublishDataverse permission, via a special token called "ALL": https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/v4.3.1/scripts/api/data/role-admin.json

Philipp UiT

Jun 2, 2016, 2:10:35 AM6/2/16
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Phil, thanks for letting me know. A somewhat strange feature of the Admin role is that it doesn't allow you to create new roles. Only the "system admin" (DataverseAdmin) has this permission, not an administrator who got his Admin role assigned after the root dataverse was installed.

Philipp

Falco KUB

Oct 11, 2019, 10:34:53 AM10/11/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Thank you for this really nice overview.
I've been trying to get my head around this the whole day (and I think that it started smoking...).

I was actually only looking for a practical solution to have "ManageDatasetPermissions" enabled by default for dataset creators - but not "PublishDataset", e.g. a role somehwere in between "Contributor" and "Curator" (the ones labelled B1 and B2 in the pdf).

I find the use of the different roles here confusing (B1 and B2) - wouldn't the question here rather be, whether creators are allowed to publish the datasets themselves or whether this has to be done by another curator (what I would call a "review process")?
Are there any other differences between "Contributor" and "Curator" on dataset level that I have overlooked? (The other options "AddDataverse", "AddDataset", "ViewUnpublishedDataverse" and "ViewUnpublishedDataset" don't seem to make any sense here.)

My use case is the following:
- All users should be allowed to create, edit and delete their own datasets (within a given Dataverse).
- They should also be allowed to restrict access to their own files themselves.
- They should be allowed to change permission to the dataset and the files within (e.g. to work together with collaborators).
- They should NOT be allowed to publish themselves.

It seems like I can do that as described here: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5307 (though it seems like new roles and permissions will have to be set for each Dataverse manually, since they don't get inherited from root).
However, I'm wondering what the original intention of B1 and B2 was?

Philip Durbin

Oct 11, 2019, 4:44:48 PM10/11/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Falco,

Your use case sounds very familiar. Pete Meyer at Harvard Medical School seems to have a similar need. I'll try to explain in concrete terms my understanding of his situation.

There are a number of labs doing structural biology and each lab has a primary investigator (PI) and a number of graduate students. Each lab gets its own dataverse. The graduate students are given the "Contributor" role for the dataverse for their lab. This allows the graduate student to create the dataset, upload files, manage permissions (I think), and click "Submit for Review." Then Pete looks at the dataset and either clicks "Return to Author" if the dataset needs more work or "Publish".

I hope this helps. It's late in the day before a holiday weekend so I don't know when or if Pete will see this but he might be able to chime in to fact check me. :)

I'm also unsure about the "ManageDatasetPermissions" issue, which perhaps is at the heart of your question.

I hope this helps,

Phil

p.s. By the way, we built an API endpoint for Pete so that he can include a message in the "Return to Author" step. Here's the issue for adding a box to type into in the web interface: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3702

Durand, Gustavo

Oct 15, 2019, 10:30:32 PM10/15/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
The issue here is that having the ManageDatasetPermissions would allow that user to change their role (i.e give themselves Publish permission). That's why when we designed this, we chose not to include a "built in" role with ManageDatasetPermissions that didn't have all "lower" permissions (such as Publish).

Of course, you could always create a custom role to be this Contributor+, as long as you are ok with the fact that they could change their role.

A more fundamental change to the app would be to add is a new permission in order to manage file permissions. Then you could have a role that included this, but not publish. I'd be hesitant to do this until we full understand all the relevant use cases.

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 10:35 AM Falco KUB <fa...@kb.dk> wrote:
[...]

Falco KUB

Oct 17, 2019, 9:33:51 AM10/17/19
to Dataverse Users Community
thanks a lot. I simply wasn't aware of that users could change their own permissions to 'publish' as well.

Seems like I have to rethink the setup that I had in mind. I want it to be as easy as possible for researchers to collaborate on a draft dataset, but still have all items reviewed before publication (to make sure that the access terms are correct and no confidential information are accidently disclosed). If anyone has had similar thoughts, please let me know.

Durand, Gustavo

Oct 17, 2019, 1:33:38 PM10/17/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

I see the challenge. So currently, the dataset creator (who would have Contributor role on the Dataset) would have to contact a Curator or Admin and ask them to add other users as Contributors to the Dataset.

For a specific case where you know beforehand that the same multiple researchers will collaborate on datasets together, you could create a Dataverse that's just for their collaborations. You would then add all the researchers as Contributors at the Dataverse level. Since the role cascades down, they would then be Contributors on all Datasets on that Dataverse, regardless of who created the Dataset (that user would also be a Contributor at the Dataset level, meaning if you removed the Dataverse level roles, they would remain as the sole Contributor on that Dataset).

Let me know if that makes sense / if it helps,
Gustavo

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 9:34 AM Falco KUB <fa...@kb.dk> wrote:
thanks a lot. I simply wasn't aware of that users could change their own permissions to 'publish' as well.

Seems like I have to rethink the setup that I had in mind. I want it to be as easy as possible for researchers to collaborate on a draft dataset, but still have all items reviewed before publication (to make sure that the access terms are correct and no confidential information are accidently disclosed). If anyone has had similar thoughts, please let me know.

Falco KUB

Oct 18, 2019, 2:41:49 AM10/18/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Yes, that's what we ahve in mind for entire research groups and larger projects.
Otherwise, we should try to avoid "overadministration".

While testing other options, I realized something else that surprised me:
You can create a Dataverse with the permissions "Anyone with a Dataverse account can add sub dataverses and datasets" and the Contributor role automatically assigned to users adding a new dataset.
That means that users cannot publish themselves in this dataverse. However, they can create a sub dataverse themselves and publish directly from there.
I hadn't expected that the contributor role from the parent dataverse would allow that.

From an administrator point of view, the easiest solution would be a "review on/off" button (kind of what they have in figshare) that can be set at any dataverse level and controls all levels underneath as well (maybe even allowing for a multiple review process).

Philip Durbin

Oct 29, 2019, 10:35:14 AM10/29/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Good point. Do you think in the guides we should say mention the fact that users will be able to self publish if you let them create their own dataverses? Last I knew, some installations of Dataverse don't let users create dataverses, perhaps for this reason. I'm thinking of Sherry Lake at https://dataverse.lib.virginia.edu but this was years ago and I might be giving you old information. :)

I haven't tested any of this lately (if would be easy to write an automated test to assert the current behavior) but I trust you. :)

Thanks,

Phil

Falco KUB

Nov 1, 2019, 9:37:41 AM11/1/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Yes, I think a word of caution would be useful (the same for the situation, where users can change their own permissions).

Since I cannot guarantee to not have messed up our Sandbox, I'd suggest to have an independent source confirm this issue, though.

Philip Durbin

Nov 1, 2019, 10:13:06 AM11/1/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
That makes sense, but as we say, "when there's smoke, there's fire." :)

Please feel free to create an issue at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues to capture the concern, at least. :)

Valentina Pasquale

Nov 4, 2019, 11:54:09 AM11/4/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Dear Falco,

I am also playing with a test installation to understand how to manage user permissions in a use-case almost identical to yours, so I had the same questions to ask.

I can confirm that, according to my tests, if you give "common users" the right to create a sub-dataverse under "root" they will be allowed to publish their dataverses and the datasets within them, because they are automatically granted the admin role in those dataverses. Also, if you add "ManageDatasetPermissions" to the "Contributor" role (to have a "Contributor +" role), users can change their permissions on their own and allowed to publish it.

I haven't found a different solution yet for that issue, but I just wanted to add that we are also interested to find it, so if someone is using Dataverse as Falco (and us) would like to, please let us know.
We would also like to avoid a situation in which users have to ask administrators every time they want to share a dataset with new collaborators that were not foreseen at the beginning of a project or with new lab members.

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Valentina

Falco KUB