geospatial search

Philip Durbin

Oct 24, 2022, 12:14:36 PM10/24/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Jim kicked off a geospatial search effort and now I'm hacking on it too.

Please see https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/8239#issuecomment-1289260365 for a status update and a few design questions. Your feedback is very welcome!

If it's easier, you can find me in https://chat.dataverse.org

Thanks!

Phil

Philipp Conzett

Nov 5, 2022, 5:28:15 AM11/5/22
to Dataverse Users Community

Hi Phil, thanks for sharing. This looks very promising!

I have a suggestion for an additional feature which might already be available, but I might have overlooked it when going through the Google doc and the PR: A way to promote the Bounding Box would be to populate these fields based on the selected value in the Country field. So far, this has actually been the most common use case I have been dealing with when it comes to geospatial metadata: A depositor has selected a country, let's say Norway or Sweden, and I want to add the coordinates to the Bounding Box. I guess for most countries one could use a look-up service to generate these coordinates and then add them to metadata record?

Best, Philipp

Philip Durbin

Nov 23, 2022, 11:53:47 AM11/23/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yes, good idea. I don't believe there's an issue for this but please feel free to create one (and let us know the number here if you do!).

Thanks,

Phil

p.s. This issue is related, about multiple bounding boxes ("30+ unique locations"): https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/7455