User email verification and notification

Philipp Conzett

Jun 18, 2024, 4:16:36 AMJun 18
to Dataverse Users Community
Triggered by some issues in our Dataverse installation (DataverseNO), I've done some research on how user email verification and notification is handled in Dataverse.

In DataverseNO, we allow users to sign up for a user account through institutional SSO and through ORCID. Previously, we also allowed sign-up through local authentication. Quite a few users still use their local user accounts they created before local sign-up was deactivated.

In our test environment, I did the following testing:

1. I logged in as a depositor with a local user account registered with a Gmail address. On the Account Information page, I saw that the email address was not verified. I clicked the Send Verification Email button, but no email was received in the associated Gmail account.

2. I edited an existing dataset draft and submitted the draft for review. Logged in as a curator, I sent the draft back to author. In the depositor account, an notification was displayed that the draft was returned. However, no notification was received in the associated Gmail account.

I did the same testing on demo.dataverse.org, and the results were identical.

Therefore, I wonder:

a. Why are email verifications not sent to local users? Is there something in the configurations we need to change?

b. Is email notifications not being sent to non-verified email addresses an intended behaviour? If so, is there a way to change this behaviour?

Best,
Philipp