R and Rserve for DVN

Philip Durbin

Feb 8, 2013, 10:25:47 AM2/8/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shubham,

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Shubham Sharma
<letters...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am finally able to install the DVN network for the NZSSDS (New Zealand
> Social Science Data Service) Its up and running internally in University of
> Auckland network and will be accessible to everyone once i finish uploading
> the data.
>
> I had a query though, it seems that port 6311 which is meant for Rserve was
> not open and its not running. I opened the 6311 port AFTER the installation
> however it still is not running. I was wondering how to make Rserve
> functional as well, do i have to run the installation script again or is
> there any other option? Thanks.

I've installed a fresh Dataverse Network a number of times but I had
never installed Rserve until this morning...

During installation, I've always just let this message fly by: "DVN
can function without a working R server, but much of the functionality
concerning running statistics and analysis on quantitative data will
not be available."

I decided to see if I could easily install Rserve after the fact and
it worked just fine. I now see "powered by Zelig" after clicking
"Access Analysis + Subsetting."

I just added a "Installing R and Rserve" section to
https://github.com/dvn/dvn-install-demo to show the steps I followed
from http://guides.thedata.org/book/2c-r-and-rserve

It pretty much came down to `yum install R R-devel`, running
`installModules.sh` from
http://dvn.iq.harvard.edu/dist/R/dvnextra.tar, and `service rserve
start` but there's more detail at
https://github.com/dvn/dvn-install-demo

I hope this is helpful. It was certainly interesting for me to install
Rserve for the first time. Please let us know if you have any more
questions.

Thanks,

Phil

p.s. Terry and Elda, I saw your replies to Shubham as well. I don't
mean anything I say above to contradict what you've written. I just
like hands on examples within a virtual machine. Thanks for weighing
in with your thoughts!

p.p.s. Shubham, I stumbled across your
http://www.eresearch.org.nz/content/dataverse-network-application-first-impressions-post-installation-beta-mode-update-2
post the other day when I googled for "dataverse smtp". Nice write up!
I shared it on a new Dataverse Network "page" I started on Google+:
https://plus.google.com/109286963798585104204/posts/aZBv7v5YVMX

--
Philip Durbin
Software Developer for http://thedata.org

Terry Rowland

Feb 8, 2013, 10:37:56 AM2/8/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Phil,

It seems your reply was warranted.  You started at step 1 (where most people do), and I was on step 300.  ;-)

-Terry

Shubham Sharma

Feb 10, 2013, 7:18:17 PM2/10/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Philip,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Turns out i just had to restart the "rserve daemon" again as i already installed Rserve before i ran the installation script but i forgot to open the 6311 port. Rserve is working perfectly now. :) Although i was wondering about the functionality of Handle and whether do i need to install Handle to get handle global unique ID's or whether DVN application produces it automatically? Thanks a lot again.

Regards,
Shubham
University of Auckland

PS: Thanks for the feedback regarding my blog. :) although i still have to make a 'final installation guide' which i will add in the wiki page you created.