Installation with Crossref

CHEE SUN LIEW

Aug 11, 2021, 10:30:48 PM8/11/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Greetings,

  We're setting up our university research data repository using Dataverse, but stuck at the DOI configuration. The manual only mentioned about DataCite by we already have Crossref subscription for our university.

  May I know whether there is a workaround to allow DOI registration via Crossref?

  I know there was a discussion three years ago at https://groups.google.com/g/dataverse-community/c/B7Y3_pEj_kY/m/im8i-fPbCwAJ but just wondering whether any recent upgrades/patches can make it possible now.

  Thank you, and have a nice day.

regards,
chee sun

Philip Durbin

Aug 12, 2021, 1:55:44 PM8/12/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi chee sun,

I poked around on that thread and the issue tracker and I'd say the status it the same. Crossref is not supported as a DOI provider in Dataverse. Most people use DataCite directly. Some use Handles instead of DOIs.

As in the previous thread, we are still happy to help a contributor who wants to add Crossref support by walking through the code, etc.

This may not be completely clear from the previous thread but if your institution joins the Dataverse Community Consortium, you can get DOIs from DataCite at a reduced rate. Please see http://dataversecommunity.global/services

I hope this helps,

Phil

" PENAFIAN: E-mel ini dan apa-apa fail yang dikepilkan bersamanya ("Mesej") adalah ditujukan hanya untuk kegunaan penerima(-penerima) yang termaklum di atas dan mungkin mengandungi maklumat sulit. Anda dengan ini dimaklumkan bahawa mengambil apa jua tindakan bersandarkan kepada, membuat penilaian, mengulang hantar, menghebah, mengedar, mencetak, atau menyalin Mesej ini atau sebahagian daripadanya oleh sesiapa selain daripada penerima(-penerima) yang termaklum di atas adalah dilarang. Jika anda telah menerima Mesej ini kerana kesilapan, anda mesti menghapuskan Mesej ini dengan segera dan memaklumkan kepada penghantar Mesej ini menerusi balasan e-mel. Pendapat-pendapat, rumusan-rumusan, dan sebarang maklumat lain di dalam Mesej ini yang tidak berkait dengan urusan rasmi Universiti Malaya adalah difahami sebagai bukan dikeluar atau diperakui oleh mana-mana pihak yang disebut.

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it ("Message") is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential information. You are hereby notified that the taking of any action in reliance upon, or any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, printing or copying of this Message or any part thereof by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this Message in error, you should delete this Message immediately and advise the sender by return e-mail. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this Message that do not relate to the official business of University of Malaya shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by any of the forementioned. "

CHEE SUN LIEW

Aug 14, 2021, 7:11:57 AM8/14/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Dear Philip,

  Thank you for your kind response. This means we have to pay for the DOI if want to bring up a Dataverse repository. Other repositories such as CKAN, doesn't not make the DOI a must to have, thus we can run a free repository.

  However, we want to use Dataverse because it has incorporated the data steward best practises, and guess will take your advice to join the GDCC for a more affordable fee.

  Thank you, and have a wonderful weekend.

regards,
chee sun

Patrick Vranckx

Aug 14, 2021, 7:31:20 AM8/14/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

We use Crossref to register our DOIs. To achieve this we wrote a simple Python daemon to register newly published datasets. I can share the code if you are interested.

Regards,

Patrick

CHEE SUN LIEW

Aug 21, 2021, 11:41:10 PM8/21/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Dear Patrick,

  First of all, sorry for not giving a prompt response. We're overwhelmed with the data centre migration process last week.

  and Yes, that will be great if you can share the code for your CrossRef registration daemon. So I assume it will replace the DataCite registration process in the Dataverse system?

  Thanks in advance, and have a wonderful weekend.

regards,
chee sun

Jacek Chudzik

Feb 7, 2022, 2:34:25 AM2/7/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Dear Patrick,

we are setting up Dataverses for local universities and one of them might be also using Crossref, so if possible, I join the request for sharing your CrossRef registration daemon.

Best regards,
Jacek

Patrick Vranckx

Feb 7, 2022, 8:55:48 AM2/7/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You have to bypass the datacite DOI registration by using the "FAKE" doi provider as explained at https://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/installation/config.html#doiprovider

We are using Centos7 as server OS.

To run the daemon, you need to install the crossref  python module  (pip3 install crossrefapi).

Of course you need to modify your information and credentials in the doi.py code (# global variables). The way the daemon registers the doi's is explained in the source code.

According to the doi.service file, it will run under the user 'doi'. Change the ownership of all the files to that user.

Don't hesitate if you have questions,

Patrick Vranckx
Université catholique de Louvain

"Personne n'est à l'abri d'une bonne idée"
doi.tgz

Jacek Chudzik

Feb 8, 2022, 9:34:36 AM2/8/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Patrick,

thank you for your support.
Regards,
Jacek

Angela Checa

Mar 1, 2022, 3:39:36 PM3/1/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello Patrick Vranckx,
Thanks for sharing doi script. I have been looking for something like that because we have a Crosref subscription instead of Datacite. I've already followed the instructions and daemon is running on  AWS EC2 Centos 7.7  but it seems nothing is happend, also tested creating a new dataset but I do not see the script in action. I configured the FAKE DOIs.
Please tell me if any other step is required  in order to make the script work.

Best regards,
Angela.

Jacek Chudzik

Mar 29, 2022, 2:35:21 AM3/29/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,
just wanted to ask does anybody knows why there is no Crossref doi support in official version of Dataverse?
Regards,
Jacek

Philip Durbin

Mar 29, 2022, 9:51:24 AM3/29/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi! In short, no one has created a pull request for Crossref DOI support yet. We'd be happy to review one!

DOI/PID providers have been added slowly over time. In Dataverse 4.0 we had only EZID. In Dataverse 4.3 DataCite was added through a community contribution. In Dataverse 4.6.2 Handle support was also contributed. I just looked through https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues and can't find a feature request for Crossref support so if you (or anyone) would like to create one, it would be appreciated.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/a4146a51-302a-44ef-a624-a93a080330edn%40googlegroups.com.

Philip Durbin

Apr 15, 2022, 3:34:16 PM4/15/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com