Uploading Data Hangs on DVN version 3.6.2

Caesar Olima

Nov 13, 2014, 9:13:54 AM11/13/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I am testing out uploading dataset on DVN installation but is unable to upload the dataset to a study. After selecting a file to upload, the application waits for a little while and show the attached screen shot (dataverse_upload_hangs.jpg).  I am running DVN version 3.6.2 on GlassFish  3.1.2 and Postgres version 9.3, though this was just migrated recently from version 8.4. I have also attached my server log in case anyone can be able to help spot where the issue might lie. thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Regards,
Caesar
dataverse_upload_hangs.JPG
server.log

Condon, Kevin

Nov 13, 2014, 10:37:38 AM11/13/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Hi Caesar,

The yellow triangle usually indicates the icefaces/ajax connection used to update page status was broken, either due to something network related or possibly a timeout.

So, when you select a file to upload, the file upload has actually begun and the page refreshes with the file in the list when it has completed. This is separate from ingest where additional processing is performed on certain file types after upload to extract metadata.

A few things to consider:

1. Try a small text file that should be quick to upload and not undergo any additional processing, this should work.
2. The file that is failing is Stata, which will undergo additional processing. At this stage the type should not be an issue. What size is this file? How long was it uploading before the yellow triangle appeared?
3. Try running your browser's debug console while it is happening and watch for network activity. I'm assuming there will be a network error when the triangle appears.
4. Is there a proxy anywhere between your browser and the server? Some proxies by default do not handle the ajax headers properly and so drop them, causing file upload issues.
5. While running your test, tail -F server.log and watch for any errors. I did see an warning with a reference to Faces but not sure what it means.
6. Last, it does not seem like it has anything to do with Postgres but we have not tested v3.6.2 against Postgres 9.3. My understanding from the Postgres support page is minor versions are fully compatible, major versions may have some data type differences.

Sorry that I do not have a definite answer. I hope the ideas point you in the right direction.

Regards,

Kevin

Nov 13, 2014, 11:38:52 AM11/13/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

Thanks a lot for the reply and the stuff to consider for testing/debugging. This is quite useful as it gives me some options to try in debugging the issue. It kind of felt like running in an unspecified direction as there was no error message displayed to start troubleshooting from. I will get back to the community with my findings. Once again, thank you.

Regards,
Caesar

Caesar Olima

Nov 13, 2014, 12:11:14 PM11/13/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

On your recommendation I have just checked that the Stata file is only 16kb and I also tried uploading a CSV of 4kb and still getting the same output.  I will watch the output on the browser's debug console and maybe have a look the proxy setting and see if there is anything suspicious.

Regards,
Caesar

Caesar Olima

Nov 13, 2014, 12:26:21 PM11/13/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
On another test file upload, Firefox's console is giving the results in the attached jpeg. Still troubleshooting the issue. Has anyone experienced this before with DVN? Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Caesar
console_display_file_upload_error.JPG

Condon, Kevin

Nov 13, 2014, 12:30:28 PM11/13/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Are you by any chance using EZ Proxy? There is a known issue with that and is corrected by a config change:

³With the advent of AJAX technology, applications running in browsers may
now create and use their own custom headers to pass information to web
applications. Since these custom headers are unknown to EZproxy, it
blocks them, which can prevent the application from working properly. The
HTTPHeader directive can be used to authorize the passing of custom
headers.²

So, you will need the header name to add to your ezproxy configuration

The header name is "Faces-Request". As in, "Faces-Request: partial/ajax".

Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2014 12:26 PM
To: dataverse...@googlegroups.com

On another test file upload, Firefox's console is giving the results in the attached jpeg. Still troubleshooting the issue. Has anyone experienced this before with DVN? Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Caesar

Caesar Olima

Nov 14, 2014, 1:25:23 AM11/14/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kevin,

I have just checked with our Server Admins here and they have advised me that we are not using EZ Proxy.  I have attached a request body of the shown on Internal Server Error if anyone else is able to identify any clue from it on the possible cause of the issue. Thank you.

Regards,
Caesar
request_body_on_error.txt

Emiliano Marmonti

Nov 27, 2014, 11:44:43 AM11/27/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Caesar

I've had the same problem in a fresh DVN deploy over Mac. I've tried using Chrome and it fails, but using Mozilla it works OK.
The javascript console message is the attached.

Any advice?
Regards
Emiliano
Captura de pantalla 2014-11-27 a la(s) 13.07.42.png