Use gmail for notification mails

dataverse adm

Apr 27, 2021, 9:24:10 AM4/27/21
to Dataverse Users Community
hi all. i am hosting and running a dataverse installation on a remote vm and the instance is running fine. however, i cannot seem to get a dedicated gmail account to send mails to new users/send verification mails at all. i've tried the "Mail Host Configuration & Authentication" steps in the Troubleshooting section of the Installation guide, without luck. i have also double checked using my payara admin account that every value is set according to the gmail protocol for smtp. has anybody experienced this, or does anyone have any input? thanks in advance. best regards

Philip Durbin

Apr 27, 2021, 2:49:49 PM4/27/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello. I chatted with folks in IRC and Slack but no one was able to confirm or deny that what you're trying to do works. I know an intern of ours got it working and wrote up those instructions. They should work. (If anyone out there knows, please jump in.)

If it were me, I would double check that I can use that new Gmail account for SMTP outside of Dataverse. You could do this on your desktop computer with an email client like Thunderbird. Then you could move on to your remote VM and try sending mail from a Python script or some other tool. Assuming all that works, back in Dataverse-land, I'd be curious to know if there are any errors in server.log (Payara's main log).

I hope this helps,

Phil

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 9:24 AM dataverse adm <dataver...@gmail.com> wrote:
hi all. i am hosting and running a dataverse installation on a remote vm and the instance is running fine. however, i cannot seem to get a dedicated gmail account to send mails to new users/send verification mails at all. i've tried the "Mail Host Configuration & Authentication" steps in the Troubleshooting section of the Installation guide, without luck. i have also double checked using my payara admin account that every value is set according to the gmail protocol for smtp. has anybody experienced this, or does anyone have any input? thanks in advance. best regards

Don Sizemore

Apr 27, 2021, 3:06:22 PM4/27/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

You might try pointing Payara's mailhost setting at localhost, and let Postfix send to Gmail for you?

Don