OAI-PMH in the new Dataverse version

s.ama...@cgxchange.org

May 29, 2015, 9:33:55 AM5/29/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,
Im trying find if the new version of dataverse has implemented the OAI-PMH service, i remember before the new version, i was using the following link:

Has the new version of Dataverse implemented OAI-PMH ?

Regards.

Philip Durbin

May 29, 2015, 9:59:21 AM5/29/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, Dataverse 4.0 did not ship with support for OAI-PMH. For details, please see this ticket about "harvesting" which is currently in review: see https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/813

Phil

Lucien van Wouw

Sep 1, 2015, 8:02:47 AM9/1/15
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
There may come a time - perhaps this year -  that my organization will also grow in need for the OAI2 protocol. But it is a bit unclear yet if 813 will implement it - or when.

If it does not we may consider to implement it with an OAI2 Solr plugin:
https://github.com/IISH/oai4solr
and add an API  handler for it in dataverse. However, if the IQSS will implement it we can wait for it. Phil, does "candidate" mean it will become part of the 4.3 release; or that it is only under consideration ?

Philip Durbin

Sep 3, 2015, 12:19:18 PM9/3/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lucien!

The idea of putting a Dataverse handler into your oai4solr project is quite interesting. I can understand why you'd want to wait and see, however, if you need to spend time on this or wait for features like https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/75 and https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/813 to ship.

To me, "candidate for [version]" means that it is only under consideration. Practically speaking, as a developer I work on issues that have been tagged with a particular milestone before I dip into the corresponding "candidate for" milestone. I sort of think of them as "nice to have" features or bug fixes for a release if there is time left after the primary work is done.

I hope this helps!

Phil