Dataverse-related Presentation request

Jim Myers

May 22, 2018, 11:23:03 AM5/22/18
to Dataverse Users Community
On behalf of the National Data Service effort  and Midwest Big Data Hub, I'd like to extend an invitation to the Dataverse community for someone to attend a jointly sponsored summer workshop, “Data Methods & Tools” and participate on a panel on emerging library approaches to data infrastructure and services – especially w.r.t. active data use.

  The workshop will be held at the Big Ten Center in Rosemont, IL and run on July 11 (all day) and July 12 (half day). The general objectives are to:

•         Identify cross disciplinary data science tools and methods, as well as the application of data management and analytics tools, to address research challenges.

•         Expand knowledge and access to data tools, methods, and services.

•         Seed / foster cross-disciplinary collaborations around cyberinfrastructure R+D and domain applications.

I'll be moderating the panel and expect to have some short talks and discussion time. While a general 'what is Dataverse' talk would fit the overall workshop, the intent that we've discussed for this panel is to focus more on how well-established tools are being adapted to address 'active data use' which encompasses anything from Jupyter-style notebooks, to support for provenance from users and analysis tools, to consideration of how to link derived works with initial datasets, etc. The specifics are still coming together, but we'll probably have a call to discuss the panel near the end of this month.

If there's anyone from Dataverse or a project using Dataverse who's interested, please let me know (here or via myersjd at umich.edu). (probably looking for 1 panelist, but perhaps two depending on the topics.).

Thanks,

 Jim