Question about Trusted Remote Storage

Roberta Merlo

Jun 26, 2024, 10:43:00 AM (10 days ago) Jun 26
to Dataverse Users Community

Hi everyone,

I am writing to ask a question on Trusted Remote Storage configuration.

We recently bought an IBM Spectrum Scale storage and we would like to configure our Dataverse instance to use it as a Trusted Remote Storage.

Based on TRS design documents and related documentation (see Releases · IQSS/dataverse (github.com) and Design for support for public and secured HTTP file stores in Dataverse - Documenti Google), it looks like only HTTP/HTTPS URLs are supported. Is that correct?

We were wondering if FTP / NFS / CIFS protocols are also supported given that our storage cannot expose files with HTTPS protocol.

Thank you very much for the help.

Best regards,

Roberta Merlo

IIT Dataverse (https://dataverse.iit.it/)

James Myers

Jun 26, 2024, 11:30:57 AM (10 days ago) Jun 26
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Roberta,

Yes, Dataverse is currently restricted to using HTTP/HTTPS URLs for the RemoteOverlayStore at present. It might not be too hard for a developer to remove that restriction (the first issue I saw in code is that we try to do an HTTP HEAD call on the data URL to pick up the file’s size. There are probably more places where we assume HTTP.)

If your storage supports S3, have you thought about using an S3 store (potentially as one of several stores that you could assign just for more sensitive data)? That would still put Dataverse in charge of access decisions (versus using a remote store where the remote service would control access).

Alternately, S3 is an HTTPS protocol, so with S3, you could potentially still use a remote store, use the S3 URLs, and use non-Dataverse means of S3 access control. I’m not aware of anyone trying that yet though.

-- Jim

Roberta Merlo

Jun 28, 2024, 7:50:43 AM (8 days ago) Jun 28
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello Jim,

Thank you for your answer.

Our storage should support S3 protocol, so we will try to configure it. I’ll let you know in case of issues or doubts.

Best regards,

Roberta