Ability to gracefully terminate a bulk upload

Joerg Messer

May 9, 2013, 3:03:34 PM5/9/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

Whilst on the topic of bulk uploads, I was wondering if there is some way to terminate a bulk upload without causing grievous harm to the DVN system.  I had to terminate a recent bulk upload that was hung and ended up with a non-functioning DVN server.  We had to rebuild the service almost from scratch.  Fortunately we're not yet in production so the impact was minimal.

//Joerg Messer (UBC)

Joerg Messer

May 10, 2013, 2:37:19 PM5/10/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

I've just add some more memory to our DVN virtual machine (4 GB to 12 GB) and doubled the number of vCPUs (2 to 4).  The bulk upload is progressing much more smoothly now.  I think I underestimated the resources required to run DVN.  I should have taken note when the installation docs indicated that the IQSS production box is running with 64 GB of memory.  Mind you, being able to terminate a running bulk upload would still be very useful.

Philip Durbin

May 10, 2013, 6:14:50 PM5/10/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Glad to hear adding more RAM helped. I use jconsole to keep track of it sometimes.

Not sure what to say about cancelling a bulk upload... or how easy it would be to implement.

Joerg Messer

May 10, 2013, 6:41:02 PM5/10/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Philip,

The memory requirements seem to vary quite substantially between individual uploads.  I thought that 12 GB might be a bit excessive but I've managed to reach that level a couple of times today.  Typical usage is around 3-4 GB.  Right now the system is only processing the initial load.  For the most part, all appears to be well.

//Joerg