Website-like features

philippe....@iarpa.gov

May 19, 2014, 6:54:25 PM5/19/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Will Dataverse 4.0 allow more flexibility in setting up the dataverse description as a normal website -- links to separate pages that list information (e.g. events), FAQs, papers related to the dataverse (not necessarily a specific study in the dataverse), etc.
Is there an example of this in the existing beta version?
Thanks,
Philippe

Mercè Crosas

May 20, 2014, 9:39:15 AM5/20/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
We haven't planned exactly for this in 4.0, but it's an interesting suggestion that others in the community have brought up in the past. In general, dataverse users have a separate site for their project more suitable to list events, FAQs, publications than a dataverse. The description and the header customization in your dataverse should allow to link to these external pages. We plan to support "widgets" in 4.0 that will allow to list datasets from your dataverse into any website. In this case, when you click a dataset, it will open in your dataverse, but the initial list will be embedded in a page within your web site.

With respect to linking to external papers: datasets have a metadata field that allows you to add an (one or more) external publication with a link to that publication.

Does this help for what you want to do? Could you give a concrete example that we could try to duplicate in the demo site?

Thanks,
Merce

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D.
Director of Data Science, IQSS
Harvard University

August Muench

May 27, 2014, 10:06:06 AM5/27/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
How are the dataverse description and header customizations going to change with version 4?

I look forward to trying out the widgets!

- gus