Use "apiToken" as external tool query parameter

olimi...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2021, 8:29:07 AM10/14/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi every one,
We are creating an external tool that need the dataverse user api token as query parameter.
We added this parameter in our external tool json et we successfully added the tool in the dataverse external tool list. But when we try to use our external tool, all other parameters are filled except the token parameter. So we would like to know if there is a tips on using the api token as a query parameter for an external tool?

Best regards,

James Myers

Oct 14, 2021, 9:18:32 AM10/14/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

FWIW: One thing that is special about that parameter for external tools/previewers is that it is only sent ‘when needed’. If you are accessing a published file, it won’t be sent. I haven’t checked but I think that is different for ‘config’ tools (these tools are ones that write back to Dataverse and hence need the token regardless of whether the dataset/file is public.)

-- Jim

olimi...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2021, 4:55:54 AM10/19/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your answer. The token is effectively send when the dataset is draft. My initial need is to use the api token in order to get the username. Given that the token wasn't sent all the time, I will search an alternative way to get the username.
Have a nice day,

Michel