DOI allocation options

23 views
Skip to first unread message

Rebeca Barros

unread,
Sep 26, 2017, 1:09:18 PM9/26/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello everyone,

I work in a Brazilian research center and we intend to install our own dataverse instance. Regarding the DOI generation, it is not feasible for us right now to become a member of Datacite. We are a small center and we are going to need only a small number of DOIs (less that 100). 

So I would like to ask for tips from the ones that deal with your own instance of dataverse. How do you allocate your DOIs numbers? Is your institution a Datacite member? If not, what member of Datacite you are using to allocate DOI for you? How can I contact them to know if they accept to work with us? How can I find information about how does it cost?

I tried to search in the webpages of the members[1] but I only got success regarding find this information from the British Library[2] and they do not accept institutions outside UK.

I appreciate any kind of information.

Thank you, 

Sebastian Karcher

unread,
Sep 26, 2017, 1:18:44 PM9/26/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
It'd help to know which area your research center works in, that might suggest potential partners. E.g. in the social sciences, I know that GESIS has some partners.
I also encourage you to write to DataCite directly -- they're still tweaking their membership model for small repositories, and may be able to offer you a rate you can afford. (We're relatively small and currently get DOIs from EZID and are currently talking to Datacite).
Best,
Sebastian

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-community+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to dataverse-community@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/fd2e7e67-9c45-4921-9994-ea5d54ca3951%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.



--
Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Philip Durbin

unread,
Sep 26, 2017, 1:22:05 PM9/26/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if Handle rather than DOI is an option for you but I hear it's less expensive (some can fact check me, please). Here's how to configure them: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.7.1/installation/config.html#configuring-dataverse-for-handles

Phil

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Sebastian Karcher <kar...@u.northwestern.edu> wrote:
It'd help to know which area your research center works in, that might suggest potential partners. E.g. in the social sciences, I know that GESIS has some partners.
I also encourage you to write to DataCite directly -- they're still tweaking their membership model for small repositories, and may be able to offer you a rate you can afford. (We're relatively small and currently get DOIs from EZID and are currently talking to Datacite).
Best,
Sebastian
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Rebeca Barros <bk.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I work in a Brazilian research center and we intend to install our own dataverse instance. Regarding the DOI generation, it is not feasible for us right now to become a member of Datacite. We are a small center and we are going to need only a small number of DOIs (less that 100). 

So I would like to ask for tips from the ones that deal with your own instance of dataverse. How do you allocate your DOIs numbers? Is your institution a Datacite member? If not, what member of Datacite you are using to allocate DOI for you? How can I contact them to know if they accept to work with us? How can I find information about how does it cost?

I tried to search in the webpages of the members[1] but I only got success regarding find this information from the British Library[2] and they do not accept institutions outside UK.

I appreciate any kind of information.

Thank you, 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-community+unsubscribe...@googlegroups.com.
--
Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-community+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to dataverse-community@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Rebeca Barros

unread,
Sep 26, 2017, 1:52:51 PM9/26/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Sebastian,

It's Medicine, Health and Life Sciences. Thanks for the suggestion, I will try contact them explaining that we will be a small repository.

Philip, thanks for the help once again :). Yes, in my initial research Handle seems less expensive, although we are inclined to use DOI, I will considerate the Handle option.

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 2:22:05 PM UTC-3, Philip Durbin wrote:
I don't know if Handle rather than DOI is an option for you but I hear it's less expensive (some can fact check me, please). Here's how to configure them: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.7.1/installation/config.html#configuring-dataverse-for-handles

Phil
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Sebastian Karcher <kar...@u.northwestern.edu> wrote:
It'd help to know which area your research center works in, that might suggest potential partners. E.g. in the social sciences, I know that GESIS has some partners.
I also encourage you to write to DataCite directly -- they're still tweaking their membership model for small repositories, and may be able to offer you a rate you can afford. (We're relatively small and currently get DOIs from EZID and are currently talking to Datacite).
Best,
Sebastian
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Rebeca Barros <bk.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I work in a Brazilian research center and we intend to install our own dataverse instance. Regarding the DOI generation, it is not feasible for us right now to become a member of Datacite. We are a small center and we are going to need only a small number of DOIs (less that 100). 

So I would like to ask for tips from the ones that deal with your own instance of dataverse. How do you allocate your DOIs numbers? Is your institution a Datacite member? If not, what member of Datacite you are using to allocate DOI for you? How can I contact them to know if they accept to work with us? How can I find information about how does it cost?

I tried to search in the webpages of the members[1] but I only got success regarding find this information from the British Library[2] and they do not accept institutions outside UK.

I appreciate any kind of information.

Thank you, 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-community+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
--
Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-community+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages