Explore button for geospatial data

Michel Bamouni

Mar 6, 2018, 11:22:30 AM3/6/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,

I connect my dataverse to worldmap using à local installation of geoconnect. WheN I upload spatial data, I get "Map Button" And when I click on this button I see data representation in geoconnet and harvard worldmap but when I come back to dataverse, I don't have the "Explore" button.
How an I solve I.
For information, I use à load balnce for dataverse and geoconnect.

Best regards,

Michel

Philip Durbin

Mar 6, 2018, 12:14:37 PM3/6/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Geconnect is showing you a preview of the map as you work on it but I believe you might have to click an extra button to confirm the creation of the map on WorldMap. Looking at this page might help: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.8.5/user/data-exploration/worldmap.html

From the documentation above, it looks like that button is called "Apply Changes".

I hope this helps. I haven't used this feature in a while myself so someone else on this list is probably more familiar with it.

Phil

Thanh Thanh Le

Jun 12, 2018, 8:14:37 AM6/12/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi all,

I'm in the same case.
Everything works except that the Explore button "refuses" to appear.

I've done 1 quick check on the codes, seeing that one of the condition to have the Explore button is : the corresponding infos must be present in the maplayermetadata table - I didn't have anything in this table, no logs that can tells me what was going wrong :(

Someone has an idea please ?

Thanks in advance,

Thanh Thanh

Philip Durbin

Jun 12, 2018, 8:56:11 AM6/12/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi! If your maplayermetadata table is empty, that's a bad sign. It makes me wonder what you mean by "everything works except". Maybe we should back up. Can you please explain how far you got in the setup? I assume you're following http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.9/installation/geoconnect.html but I'm wondering which of these options* (linked from there) you are following:

Thanks!

Phil

* Technically, there is a third option to run WorldMap yourself. I recently heard that the rewrite is complete enough that they are ready for people to try installing it. That's my understanding anyway. From what I can tell, Harvard WorldMap itself hasn't been upgraded to this new version yet.

Thanh Thanh Le

Jun 12, 2018, 9:56:35 AM6/12/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Phillip,

I have not mentionned yet but we have dataverse 4.8.6 with the second option : - https://github.com/IQSS/geoconnect#i-would-like-to-run-geoconnect-myself-but-still-use-the-harvard-worldmap

And I said earlier "everything works " because I have the map viewed in geoconnect, and saved in worldmap.

But when I come back to dataverse, the Explore button don't show up :( .

Thanks !

Thanh Thanh

Philip Durbin

Jun 13, 2018, 6:51:54 AM6/13/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Very strange. I guess I would suggested switching to the other option, at least temporarily:

That way, you wouldn't have to host Geoconnect yourself. You'd use the same installation of Geoconnect as Harvard Dataverse and (I believe) a few others. As explained on the page above, to get started you would email sup...@dataverse.org to authorize your server. Hopefully this will result in your maplayermetadata getting populated. Then maybe we can figure out how to switch you to your own Geoconnect server if you'd still like to run it yourself.

I hope this helps!

Phil

Raman Prasad

Jun 13, 2018, 10:39:38 AM6/13/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

After the map is created on WorldMap:

- Geoconnect sends the new map's url + other metadata to a Dataverse API endpoint
- It seems like Dataverse did not receive this message (e.g. the maplayermetadata table being unpopulated)
   - I haven't looked at Geoconnect in a while, but it used to be that an error would appear in the UI if Dataverse didn't receive the message

-Raman