Branding Configuration

Sherry Lake

Sep 13, 2017, 4:50:15 PM9/13/17
to Dataverse Users Community
I finally carved some time to read up and study how to use the new 4.7 feature "Branding".

But as I attempted to test things I realized that all the branding customization files (logos, custom home page, header, etc.) need to be on THE dataverse installation (localhost).

I do not have login access to the server, so I cannot put files in the /var/www/dataverse/branding folder.

So there is no other way to customize without having access to this directory on the "localhost"?

Ok, if that's the case then I am going to have to beg and beg to get permissions. I am able to do other admin database setting changes using curl and API commands (our test machine is behind our IP authenticated network).

Any advice other than get permissions?

Thanks
Sherry

Philip Durbin

Sep 13, 2017, 6:37:52 PM9/13/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
That's right. For an installation of Dataverse in production, you need to have access to a filesystem that your Dataverse server uses. It could be NFS-mounted, if that helps.

Would it make sense to work on your customization files from the comfort of your computer by running Dataverse in Vagrant* and then emailed them to your ops folks once you were happy with them? This would involve installing Vagrant and VirtualBox.

Thanks so much for taking a look at these new customization features. We're eager to get feedback. Please feel free to open a GitHub issue about how you'd rather work on these files from the superuser dashboard.

Thanks,

Phil

* http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.7.1/installation/prep.html#vagrant-for-testing-only