International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) compatibility

Shu Wen Chew

May 7, 2018, 3:55:17 AM5/7/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

I would like to confirm if the Dataverse is International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) compatibile?

If not, are there plans to make it IIIF compatible?

Cheers,
Shu Wen

danny...@g.harvard.edu

May 7, 2018, 10:16:23 AM5/7/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Shu Wen,

I'm not very familiar with the IIIF standard, but I don't believe we're in compliance with it. This isn't something that we have plans to work on.

If someone in the community is more knowledgeable and/or has interest in working on this compatibility, please feel free to join the discussion!

Thanks,

Danny

Eugene Barsky

May 8, 2018, 9:22:52 AM5/8/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello Shu Wen:

Our UBC discovery repository - Open Collections - https://open.library.ubc.ca/ is IIIF compliant and we are feeding Dataverse sets there for enhanced data discovery. Happy to be of help!

Eugene

Bollini Andrea

May 10, 2018, 4:04:08 AM5/10/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
we have experience in the IIIF standards. In short: they are a set of
API specification that improve images interoperability allowing reuse
of the content from other web sites / system without loss of
ownership/control.

It will make absolute sense to provide an integration with an image
server IIIF compliant that read the images directly from Dataverse.
We have worked with Cantaloupe and Digilib and created a similar
extension for DSpace to allow such integration, see:
https://www.4science.it/en/iiif-image-viewer/

The scope of the development could be more or less broad, the basis
could be to provide a viewer IIIF compliant for each single images in a
dataset, a further step could be to provide a IIIF presentation API
manifest to expose the full dataset or also a large dataverse (as a
IIIF collection). Support for terms of usage can be added using the
IIIF Authentication API.

We will be happy to work with any Institution that want to fund a
similar development with the goal to release it open source to the
Dataverse community.

Andrea
> --
> .com.
> msgid/dataverse-community/c951e2ce-28d9-43fb-bd93-
> 89493d5ae570%40googlegroups.com.

Questo messaggio e' stato analizzato da Libra ESVA ed e' risultato non infetto.
This message was scanned by Libra ESVA and is believed to be clean.