VMBox Dataverse to host browser

Jay Patel

Oct 29, 2018, 7:56:49 PM10/29/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,

I am very new at the dataverse and whole linux and networking so apologise if the question is dumb.

My configuration is as follow:

Host OS = Ubuntu 18.04
VMBox OS = CentOS 7 (in which dataverse is running)
Dataverse Port on CentOS = http://localhost.localdomain:8080

I have make two network adaptors, 1. Bridge Network 2. Host-only Adaptor

I am able to connect the terminal of CentOS through Ubuntu via Bridge Adaptor and established the dataverse through it.
Now once deployed, I want to open dataverse in Ubuntu's Browser rather than centOS browser. (The reason behind this is the small resilution of CentOS vmbox)
How can I open dataverse instance from VMBox centOS to directly Ubuntu Browser??

Thank you in advance.

Philip Durbin

Oct 29, 2018, 8:10:16 PM10/29/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
We talked this out at http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dataverse/2018-10-30 and Jay is going to try Vagrant, which automates the steps needed in VirtualBox.

Pete Meyer

Oct 30, 2018, 1:45:26 PM10/30/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Jay,

It sounds to me like you need to configure your VM to expose port 8080 to the guest - I haven't used (or heard of) VMBox, so I'm not sure about the specifics - but this is relatively straightforward in virtualbox and vagrant (which can act as a virtualbox wrapper).

Best,
Pete