Email notifications sent through Contact Owner form

Philipp Conzett

Jun 19, 2024, 3:32:21 AMJun 19
to Dataverse Users Community
On the landing page of datasets in a Dataverse installation there is a Contact Owner button which allows visitors to contact the contact person of the dataset. When a visitor clicks the Contact Owner button, a contact form pops up where you can write your message. The message is supposed to be sent to the email address registered in the metadata field Point of Contact of the dataset at stake.

Triggered by some issues we've experienced in our installation (DataverseNO), I've done some testing in DataverseNO (v5.14; both test and production environment) as well as on demo.dataverse.org (v6.2) where I submitted contact forms to datasets which had different types of email addresses registered in the Point of Contact field. It turned out that in some cases, the submitted message/email was never received:

Point of Contact = Work email: Email received immediately.
Point of Contact = Gmail email: No email received.
Point of Contact = Mailinator.com email: Email received immediately.

From what I can see, none of the Gmail accounts which were used here did have any spam filters applied.

Does anyone have any idea why messages to Gmail addresses are not delivered/received?

Best,
Philipp

James Myers

Jun 19, 2024, 4:22:43 PMJun 19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Philipp,

I know QDR and Harvard have seen similar issues (where emails only go to some recipients). I’m not sure there’s a consensus on exactly what is going on but at QDR we looked into turning on various email security protocols such as DKIM and DMARC, encryption, etc. Some of those are things you have to configure for your email server/network. The things that are in the Dataverse config that are relevant are:

        <jvm-options>-Ddataverse.mail.mta.ssl.enable=true</jvm-options>

        <jvm-options>-Ddataverse.mail.mta.auth=true</jvm-options>

        <jvm-options>-Ddataverse.mail.mta.user=…</jvm-options>

        <jvm-options>-Ddataverse.mail.system-email=…</jvm-options>

              --email must be one in the subnet your email server supports, e.g. qdr.mail.syr.edu for QDR

        <jvm-options>-Ddataverse.mail.mta.allow-utf8-addresses=false</jvm-options>

Hope that helps and/or others have additional advice,

-- Jim

Philipp Conzett

Jun 20, 2024, 12:11:24 AMJun 20
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks, Jim! I'll pass this on to our team.

Best,
Philipp