Issues on Previewer for wav files in dataverse

ofuuzo ofuuzo

Mar 18, 2020, 11:02:50 AM3/18/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,
We are running Dataverse version 4.19.
We have configured the previewer for .wav files. In our case, users can view preview/explore some wav files and cannot for some other wav files (https://dataverse.no/dataset.xhtml?persistentId=doi:10.18710/3PKATY). I could see the same issue at harvard.dataverse.edu (https://dataverse.harvard.edu/dataset.xhtml?persistentId=doi:10.7910/DVN/29079). But, if I upload the same wav-file not probably previewing to another dataset, the explore icon will appear correctly in the new dataset. I cannot finger out where the problem is. Is it the problem of dataverse not redetecting older uploaded wav files?

Cheers
Obi

Julian Gautier

Mar 18, 2020, 11:09:16 AM3/18/20
to Dataverse Users Community
I don't know why in your repository some .wav files are previewable but others aren't. But I don't think Harvard Dataverse is configured to preview .wav files, so as far as I know, no .wav files in Harvard Dataverse are previewable - unless you've found .wav files in Harvard Dataverse that are previewable...

I hope that helps with troubleshooting a little. :)

James Myers

Mar 18, 2020, 11:18:05 AM3/18/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Looking at the OAI_ORE metadata export for your example dataset, I see that some of the wav files have been assigned the mimetype ‘audo/x-wave’. To get a preview for those, you’ll need to register the previewer for that mimetype as well (just run the command you used for the audio/wav type again with the changed mimetype.

This is a general possibility – different browsers do not always assign the same mimetype for the same file/file extension. In those cases, you’ll need to register previewers for the additional mimetypes. If we find that there are common variants, we can add them into the config instructions in the previewer repository.

-- Jim

ofuuzo ofuuzo

Mar 19, 2020, 5:45:33 AM3/19/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks Jim. I checked and could see that some have wav, wave, x-wave and x-wav. I have added them and everything is working fine, Once again, thanks a lot.
Cheers.
Obi