Connect dataverse to worldmap

Michel Bamouni

Feb 27, 2017, 3:57:46 AM2/27/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,

I use dataverse 4.5.1 and I want to connect it with worldmap.
What is the best way to do this?

Best regards ,

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Feb 27, 2017, 10:27:43 AM2/27/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Michel,

If you'd like to integrate your Dataverse installation with Worldmap, the first step would be for us to authorize your server(s) to communicate with worldmap.harvard.edu

Can you please let me know what server(s) we should authorize?

Thanks,

Danny

Michel Bamouni

Feb 27, 2017, 10:36:46 AM2/27/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Danny,

I want to install my own worldmap following the procedure describing on githhub https://github.com/IQSS/geoconnect.
Is it possible or I must use worldmap.harvard.edu ?

Best regards

Michel

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Feb 27, 2017, 10:59:17 AM2/27/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Michel,

There's a warning at the top of the readme in the Geoconnect repository that those directions need updating. We're working on updating these instructions as part of the tabular mapping release for later this quarter. For now, you should plan to use worldmap.harvard.edu or wait for us to update the instructions.

Thanks,

Danny

Michel Bamouni

Feb 28, 2017, 8:04:47 AM2/28/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi danny,

Ok thanks you for your answer

Michel

Raman Prasad

Feb 28, 2017, 10:24:51 AM2/28/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Michel,

Installing geoconnect isn't that hard.  However, the real "engine" is the WorldMap and installing that can be difficult:

   https://github.com/cga-harvard/cga-worldmap

It is currently under rewrite and will be released with updated instructions, either in the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year.

The easiest way for now is to give us a url of your dataverse or dataverses and connect that way.

Thanks,

Raman

Michel Bamouni

Mar 1, 2017, 9:00:32 AM3/1/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Raman,

I want to use the harvard worldmap. So the url of my dataverse is : https://data-test.jouy.inra.fr/

Tkanks,

Raman Prasad

Mar 1, 2017, 1:19:04 PM3/1/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Michel,

I added your url to the Geoconnect application.

Feel free to correspond to 'raman_...@harvard.edu' for follow-up.

Regards,

Raman

Michel Bamouni

Mar 1, 2017, 4:48:53 PM3/1/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,

Thanks for adding my dataverse to worldmap. On my dataverse, must i make the configurations describe in the geoconnect github (dataverse settings and worldmapxxx tables)?

Cdlt,

Raman Prasad

Mar 1, 2017, 5:15:26 PM3/1/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

You shouldn't have to make any adjustments described in geoconnect.

To test the Dataverse, please try the notes here:  https://gist.github.com/raprasad/810b9ecaea6f02acbb9d0183362440a0

-Raman

Michel Bamouni

Mar 2, 2017, 6:46:52 AM3/2/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,
thanks for your answer.
I will try the notes on the github link

Michel Bamouni

Mar 2, 2017, 7:36:12 AM3/2/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

After following the steps in https://gist.github.com/raprasad/810b9ecaea6f02acbb9d0183362440a0
and when uploading the shape files, I "Map Button "appers but when I click on this button,
I get the error in the joined picture.
I think it's a network problem.
So does "
geoconnect.datascience.iq.harvard.edu" server need to read data from my dataverse on https port (443)?

best regards

Raman Prasad

Mar 2, 2017, 11:06:14 AM3/2/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

Geoconnect does need to read from your Dataverse.  Specifically, it attempts to retrieve:

(1) Metadata in JSON format from a Dataverse API endpoint specific to Geoconnect
(2) The actual file to map

If your Dataverse isn't currently reachable, it won't work.  Regarding https, I "registered" the Dataverse as:

  "https://data-test.jouy.inra.fr"

I can also add an "http" version if the Dataverse is available that way. It's a 'weak' check.

Let me know if that helps.

-Raman

Raman Prasad

Mar 2, 2017, 11:08:40 AM3/2/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Scratch that "weak check" part in the last message.

Was starting to write that the reason for "registering" a Dataverse is:
   - To check that the request is coming from a known server
   - The check only looks at the protocol + domain name--not doing an in-depth checking past that.

Michel Bamouni

Mar 2, 2017, 11:09:22 AM3/2/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,

In addition to my previous post, if "geoconnect.datascience.iq.harvard.edu" need to read data from my dataverse api, I must allow "
geoconnect.datascience.iq.harvard.edu" to talk with my dataverse. For this, can you please give the outgoing IP adress associated to "geoconnect.datascience.iq.harvard.edu"

Best regards

Raman Prasad

Mar 2, 2017, 1:21:15 PM3/2/17
to Dataverse Users Community
It should be: 140.247.115.127

Michel Bamouni

Mar 3, 2017, 3:15:17 AM3/3/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,

Thanks for your answer.
I will the IP adress 140.247.115.127 to talk to my dataverse but
I want some more information in the harvard worldmap environment.
My dataverse is a development environment and not a production environment. So the IP , you give is harvard worldmap test ou production environment?
I ask this question because, I don't want to display my test data in your production instance.

Best regards

Raman Prasad

Mar 3, 2017, 11:13:38 AM3/3/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Michel,

WorldMap is a standalone system open to anyone:

    http://worldmap.harvard.edu/

e.g., If you wanted you could make an account, add a map, etc--although that is not needed for Dataverse/Geoconnect

Currently, there isn't a development WorldMap, e.g. you can use production.

If needed I can coordinate with you to remove the test data (e.g. just send me the map links, etc)

Regards,

Raman

Michel Bamouni

Mar 6, 2017, 5:47:04 AM3/6/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello Raman,

Thanks for your answer.

Michel Bamouni

Mar 6, 2017, 10:05:09 AM3/6/17
to Dataverse Users Community

Hi,

After following the steps describe in the link https://gist.github.com/raprasad/810b9ecaea6f02acbb9d0183362440a0,
I got the "Map Data" button button when I click on this button , I am redirect to harvard worldmap page and when I click on "Visualize on WorldMap", I got the error :
"Sorry! The shapefile mapping did not work.
Request failed. Status code: 500 {"message": "Unexpected error during upload: <class 'urllib2.HTTPError'>", "success": false}"
The display error is attached to my post.

Raman Prasad

Mar 6, 2017, 2:04:45 PM3/6/17
to Dataverse Users Community
If you don't mind.  Please try refreshing the page and trying again.

(Also, we plan on moving geoconnect to a new server soon.  e.g. Most likely next week.  If you don't mind waiting that long, we can  give better feedback.)

Vyacheslav Tikhonov

Mar 7, 2017, 3:36:49 AM3/7/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Michel,

Probably you're trying it on the test or development server not available from the Internet, just in your local network. It makes sense that it's not accessible from Harvard's Dataverse.

Best,
Slava

Michel Bamouni

Mar 7, 2017, 10:44:27 AM3/7/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

Thanks Raman and Tikhonov,

After refreshing, it works fine  but a new button "Explore" appers near "Map Data" button.
What is the
difference between these two button?

Best regards

Michel Bamouni

Mar 9, 2017, 3:51:12 AM3/9/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

I want to compare my dataverse dataset maps with an existing harvard dataverse dataset. SO can I get a link to one harvard dataverse dataset which contains a file that can be view in worldmap please?

Best regards,

Michel

Raman Prasad

Mar 9, 2017, 8:56:05 AM3/9/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Michel,

The “Explore” button should a new page displaying the Map in WorldMap.

The “Map Data” button allows editing/deletion of the map.

-Raman

Raman Prasad

Mar 10, 2017, 10:04:26 AM3/10/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Michel,

Here is a link on our beta server with several maps:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dataverse-community/KgiMIHhuH18

Note: We have them in production but currently there was a regression that effects the UI.  The fix in production will be in the 4.6.1 release.

Thanks,

Raman