Should users be able to modify the study global identifier when 1st creating a study?

Eleni Castro

Apr 17, 2014, 10:47:51 AM4/17/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dataverse Community,

We are reviewing the current Dataverse functionality in preparation for the release of 4.0 and would like your feedback on the following:

Currently, users creating a study in Dataverse are able to manually modify part of the Study Global Identifier prior to saving the study (see screenshot below of version 3.6.2).

Do you think there are any benefits for users to be able to manually put in a different global study ID (will be called Dataset Identifier in 4.0) or should the system just automatically generate / mint one for them? We already have an Other Identifier element that users can put in a different identifier that corresponds to the same study.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Cheers,
Eleni

--

Eleni Castro
Research Coordinator, Data Acquisition and Archiving, Data Science

Jon Crabtree

Apr 17, 2014, 11:18:09 AM4/17/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Eleni

We used that feature to sync our legacy id numbers that had useful meaning.

As you say we could have used the other id but we did not use that option years ago when we moved to the VDC then DVN

I can see arguments either way

Jon

August Muench

Apr 17, 2014, 11:22:49 AM4/17/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I think it should be retained so long as it doesn't cause a problem with uniqueness. Like bit.ly custom links.

I also conceptualize "Other ID" as linking to extant links. In that regard, a user modifying this field is probably looking for new, custom link that they couldn't easily/immediate/on publication any other way.

Jon Crabtree