DMPtool into Dataverse

Cristina Justino

Dec 4, 2018, 8:26:49 AM12/4/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

Is it possible to know more informations about the integration DMPtool and Dataverse. This integration is in a near future?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Cristina Cortês

Philip Durbin

Dec 4, 2018, 8:49:51 AM12/4/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
If memory serves, Sherry Lake from UVa had DMPTool and Dataverse on a poster at one of our community meetings. I see a reference to it at https://blog.dmptool.org/2017/06/09/on-the-right-tracks-dcc-release-draws-nigh/

Over at https://dataverse.org/integrations DMPTool is listed under the "future integrations" tab but if there's an active integration, a pull request to update http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.9.4/admin/integrations.html would be very welcome!

Phil

Sherry Lake

Dec 4, 2018, 5:11:42 PM12/4/18
to Dataverse Users Community
DMPTool/Dataverse integration was first mentioned at the 2016 IDCC Conference: http://www.dcc.ac.uk/sites/default/files/documents/IDCC16/Parallel%20C/Session%203/Eleni%20Castro.pdf

Then a cool integration "poster" at Force16

I am not sure who was involved in the discussion or how far they went. Also at this time the DMPTool and DMPonline were in the early stages of merging.

The poster I presented at Dataverse, this blog: https://blog.dmptool.org/2017/08/17/dmproadmap-summer-camp-news/
was on "Actionable DMPs". This too is at an early stage, and I don't think on any repository feature list. Idea is if DMPs were "actionable" then what is stated in a DMP, i.e, what repository was described, then that repository (.i.e, Dataverse) would know data is coming - maybe even start a draft dataset AND once the project was finished the repository (i.e., Dataverse) specified in the DMP would be checked to see if the dataset was really there.

Lots of possibility for integration, but nothing concrete yet.

--
Sherry Lake

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 8:26 AM Cristina Justino <ccor...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible to know more informations about the integration DMPtool and Dataverse. This integration is in a near future?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Cristina Cortês

Crosas, Mercè

Dec 6, 2018, 11:36:01 AM12/6/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hola Cristina and Sherry!

Some time ago, we indeed had the intention to integrate the DMPTool with Dataverse. However, the DMPTool did not provide any means to integrate with repositories, so we couldn't do it. If any of you know of a useful way, or of a new feature that enables a seamless integration, I'd love to know about it.

The way we can in some way "integrate" manually the DMP with Dataverse is to provide DMP templates for your researchers that already have a description of how the data will be stored in your Dataverse repository. That way, when a researcher has to create a DMP can simply use that template and just add the properties of her data, while using the rest of the text provided in the template.

Here are some guidance to create a template for your user community: http://best-practices.dataverse.org/data-management/

If other have better DMP templates to be used with Dataverse, please share.

I hope this helps,

Merce

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 5:11 PM Sherry Lake <shla...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D., Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, IQSS, Harvard University

Amber Leahey

Dec 12, 2018, 12:37:16 PM12/12/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone, interesting thread!

I've seen that CDL DMPTool and DCC DMPOnline have teamed up to create a new more open and metadata-driven code base that now has open API support and a core DMP template schema which could possibly make it easier to integrate with repositories.

More info about machine actionable DMPs https://activedmps.org/

There will also be a mechanism to make your DMPs public which might mean more ways to link to DMPs to data in DV!

Anyway, will be interesting when this code goes out and more people are using it. It would be great if someone from the Active DMP space could come give a talk at the Dataverse Community Meeting perhaps?

Best,
Amber

Sebastian Karcher

Dec 12, 2018, 12:50:16 PM12/12/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is that both DMPOnline and DMPTool already run on Roadmap code and the API is live.

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D., Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, IQSS, Harvard University

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Philipp at UiT

Dec 13, 2018, 4:27:02 AM12/13/18
to Dataverse Users Community
I'm almost sure that Sebastian's understanding is right. Best, Philipp.

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D., Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, IQSS, Harvard University

Philip Durbin

May 22, 2019, 6:13:08 AM5/22/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I just heard about https://github.com/RDA-DMP-Common/RDA-DMP-Common-Standard ("a new standard developed within the Research Data Alliance") at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5859#issuecomment-493978167 and thought I'd mention it here. :)

Thanks,

Phil

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D., Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, IQSS, Harvard University

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Philip Durbin

Oct 29, 2019, 7:04:17 PM10/29/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Don't look now but there's a brand new integration in the works! Please see https://github.com/oblassers/dmap/issues/1 and lots of diagrams at https://hido1994.github.io/madmp/

C. M. Boyd

Oct 29, 2019, 8:19:46 PM10/29/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Phil - This is really exciting news!

--Ceilyn

Crosas, Mercè

Oct 30, 2019, 9:03:20 AM10/30/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
This can be really useful for data management. I added a comment/question to the GitHub issue.

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D.
University Research Data Officer,  HUIT  |   Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, IQSS