Successful Transition from EZID DOI registrations to DataCite

Skip to first unread message

Sherry Lake

Feb 23, 2018, 10:55:59 AM2/23/18
to Dataverse Users Community
We have our test system working with DataCite (was set up for EZID).

Here is what we modified for our test server - registering DOIs with our test DataCite mds account on the mds test server

To make changes, need to stop Glassfish, change file (below) and then restart glass fish:


In file: /var/local/glassfish4/glassfish/domains/domain1/config/domain.xml


       <jvm-options>-Ddoi.password=NEW-DataCite Password</jvm-options>

       <jvm-options>-Ddoi.username=DataCIte Username</jvm-options>



Then run this command to change the DOI Provider to DataCite:

         curl -X PUT -d DataCite http://localhost:8080/api/admin/settings/:DoiProvider

We do not have an account on DataCite production, but when we do, we will change our production dataverse - LibraData.


Jim Myers

Mar 12, 2018, 3:59:04 PM3/12/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks! We (QDR) just received some DataCite test credentials and I followed your guidance to get setup. To pay it forward, here are a few more notes:

1) I used 
asadmin delete-jvm-options <old setting> 
asadmin create-jvm-options <new setting> 

rather than edit the domain.xml file. The only issue is that the : in the baseurl has to be escaped:

asadmin create-jvm-options '-Ddoi.baseurlstring=https\://'

These result in the same changes to domain.xml that you have.

2) Our credentials appear to be for rather than They are still only for the 10.5072 authority. I'm not sure what we did differently but if anyone gets authentication errors, it might be useful to check the other domain name.

3) I used curl to do some testing as described in the DataCite MDS docs - - that was helpful in general and with the next issue:

4) I found some oddities in how upper/lower/and mixed case identifiers are handled. QDR uses all uppercase in DOIs and, with the config changes above, these worked. However, the DataCite Fabrica interface showed lowercase versions of our identifiers and it appears that DataCite is actually registering upper and lowercase records. I sent DataCite support an email about this but the take-home for now is that Fabrica shows the lowercase versions and that version may show as working and resolve at to a a landing page, while the uppercase version does not yet work. Or vice versa - I saw both cases while testing. My guess is that this is from the upper and lowercase versions taking different amounts of time to appear on Eventually, upper/lower/and mixed case versions all resolved fine after publishing the uppercase version through dataverse - it's just potentially confusing during testing.

-- Jim

Sherry Lake

Mar 13, 2018, 8:24:45 PM3/13/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks Jim,

UVa was given the test datacite server ( while we waited for our membership account. We now have our datacite membership account and will be using that ( w/ test prefix for now on for our test environment.


Philip Durbin

Oct 17, 2018, 6:11:39 PM10/17/18
Harvard Dataverse just transitioned from EZID to DataCite and while I can't take any credit for the move or the notes that were written up, I thought I'd share them:


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
To post to this group, send email to
To view this discussion on the web visit
For more options, visit

Reply all
Reply to author
0 new messages