Dataverse access logs

Michel Bamouni

Feb 23, 2018, 8:54:17 AM2/23/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,

In dataverse glassfish server logs directory, I see a folder with name "access".
In this folder, I see two types of files. One name "server_access_log" and another name "_asadmin_access_log".
How does these files are fill? Which data these two files contains?

In addition, my dataverse is accessible on internet, so I want to know if a user navigate on my dataverse without no login (just to consult the information), does dataverse gather some data (like IP, login, ...) about the user access?

If I am log in with shibboleth or as admin, does dataverse gather informations(like IP, login, ...) about my access?

For information, I use dataverse 4.5.1.

Best regards,

Michel

Philip Durbin

Feb 26, 2018, 1:34:07 PM2/26/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Last I checked Glassfish does not log access (HTTP) requests by default (unlike Apache) so you probably turned it on (you can check with `asadmin get server.http-service.access-logging-enabled`). I'm not familiar with "_asadmin_access_log" but you might want to ask in #glassfish on freenode or on the Glassfish mailing list at https://javaee.groups.io/g/glassfish

It sounds like you're interested in user activity on your site. Enabling Glassfish access logs is one way to gather this data. If you front Glassfish with Apache, you could also look at Apache access logs.  These are both server-side solutions. You can also gather activity on users by enabling Google Analytics ( http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.8.5/installation/config.html#googleanalyticscode ) or Pwiki ( http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.8.5/installation/config.html#piwikanalyticsid ) or both. These solutions are client-side so they require users to accept cookies.

Dataverse does record "lastlogintime" in the "authenticateduser" database table but not in your version of Dataverse. It was added in 4.7.1 as part of https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3246

I hope this helps,

Phil

Michel Bamouni

Feb 27, 2018, 7:18:27 AM2/27/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Philip,

Thanks for answer.

For functions reasons, I would like to know if dataverse traces user access?
 If so, where can this information be found?

Michel

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 8:54 AM, Michel Bamouni <olimi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

In dataverse glassfish server logs directory, I see a folder with name "access".
In this folder, I see two types of files. One name "server_access_log" and another name "_asadmin_access_log".
How does these files are fill? Which data these two files contains?

In addition, my dataverse is accessible on internet, so I want to know if a user navigate on my dataverse without no login (just to consult the information), does dataverse gather some data (like IP, login, ...) about the user access?

If I am log in with shibboleth or as admin, does dataverse gather informations(like IP, login, ...) about my access?

For information, I use dataverse 4.5.1.

Best regards,

Michel

Philip Durbin