Several problems installing Dataverse on Linux Fedora 17

Ricardo Pluss

Feb 21, 2013, 9:31:50 AM2/21/13
to Dataverse Community

Dear,
for an installation on a Fedora 17 server, I found several problems that are not considered in the installation manual:

  1. The installation of software packages R and R-devel, also automatically includes the openjdk package, creating a conflict with the Oracle JDK package previously installed..

  2. If our network connects to the Internet through a proxy server with authentication, software installation dvnextra cannot work properly because it cannot access the Internet.

  3. Rserver cannot start. This occurs because the password safety rules reject the value of the rserve's user password (the value suggested in the installation process is "rserve"). Consequently, you cannot use the statistics in Dataverse system.

To solve these problems, I suggest:

  1. Uninstall the package openjdk and delete it executable and configuration files.

  2. Change the configuration of R platform including information about your proxy server on this file: /usr/lib/R/etc/Renviron (read this article).

  3. You must assign a valid value to the rserve's password, start Rserve (with rserve user identity) and verify it proper operation (read this article). Enter the new user password as parameter during Dataverse package installation.

Additionally, I'm sending two scripts to start and stop DVN at localhost location.

I hope you find this information useful.

start-dataverse
stop-dataverse

Philip Durbin

Feb 21, 2013, 9:56:42 AM2/21/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Ricardo Pluss <rpl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope you find this information useful.

Absolutely! Thanks!

Phil

--
Philip Durbin