Connection between dataset templates and metadata fields inheritance from parent DV

Kaitlin Newson

Jul 17, 2019, 4:01:24 PM7/17/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi all,

We've run into a behaviour in Dataverse around metadata fields and templates, and are wondering if it's part of the intended functionality (tested in 4.10 and 4.15).

The steps to reproduce are as follows:

1. A user creates a sub-dataverse, which has inherited the dataset templates from the parent dataverse. These can be seen in 'Edit' > 'Dataset Templates'.
2. The user navigates to 'General Information' in the sub-dataverse and unchecks "Use metadata fields from Scholars Portal Dataverse", and saves.
3. The user then navigates back to the dataset templates, and none of the parent templates appear anymore.
4. If the user goes back to step 2 and checks "Use metadata fields from..", the dataset templates will appear again.

Thanks for any insights you all may have! The main issue here is that the user can't set metadata fields as required, while also using pre-defined dataset templates from the parent dataverse (in this case, these templates define different CC licenses).

Philip Durbin

Jul 19, 2019, 6:36:30 AM7/19/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kaitlin,

Templates are a feature of Dataverse that I haven't played with or hacked on much but I wasn't able to replicate the behavior without an additional step:

2.5: Ensure that the sub-dataverse has at least one additional metadata block enabled that the parent dataverse does not.

At this point, 3 is true for me. The parent template is no longer available.

I took a quick look at the code but I couldn't figure out if this is intentional or not.

I would suggest creating an issue that is oriented around what the user is trying to do, especially with regard to setting licenses because we've been talking a lot of licenses lately in design meetings. Linking back to your post here would be helpful too.

This is where you'd create that issue: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

Thanks for the feedback!

Phil

Philip Durbin

Jul 25, 2019, 9:26:34 AM7/25/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for creating the "Metadata fields inheritance and dataset templates" issue at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/6050

If anyone has any more stories to tell about this feature, please feel free to reply on this thread or comment on that issue.

Thanks,

Phil

Sonia Barbosa

Aug 2, 2019, 11:28:14 AM8/2/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Just chiming in here.
Kaitlin, Phil:

The metadata fields that are inherited the way you describe, are not the same as the "templates." templates have to be set to "default" to the subdataverse
1. A user creates a sub-dataverse, which has inherited the dataset templates from the parent dataverse. These can be seen in 'Edit' > 'Dataset Templates'.
2. The user navigates to 'General Information' in the sub-dataverse and unchecks "Use metadata fields from Scholars Portal Dataverse", and saves.

Inheriting the metadata fields from a parent dataverse does not imply inheriting the" template"

Is this where the problem may be?

You can edit your metadata fields under "general information" to contain the blocks and fields you want to see in the template you will create, but that doesn't carry over in the "template" feature unless you take an actual template and make it a default for the subdataverse. Two separate actions.
I just want to be sure that's clear.

Phil, feel free to send these kinds of workflow issues to RT.

Thanks