DVUploader Limits

Sherry Lake

Apr 22, 2020, 9:12:41 AM4/22/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Jim,

Do you know any limits to number of files (size of files) for the DVUploader?

Or do you think it's just a time out problem. Attached in the log.

I'm going back to the researcher and asking "WHY" do they need so many files uploaded.

But thanks for any info you can give.

--
Sherry

UVa-DVUploaderError.txt

James Myers

Apr 22, 2020, 9:28:37 AM4/22/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Sherry,

The DVUploader uses the Dataverse API to upload files individually – that means that all of the configured limits in Dataverse apply except the 1000 files per upload limit in the UI.

My guess with a connection reset error would be that some component is timing out, though it might be worth checking the Dataverse log.

Aside from resolving the issue directly by increasing a timeout, one option with the DVUploader is to upload the unzipped files (assuming that the zips being sent are actually multiple files so the enclosed unzipped files are perhaps below the timeout threshold). Since the uploader keeps track of upload success/failure and you can run it again to retry failed files (and skip the ones that were transferred), it’s easier to handle large numbers of files so if that gets you by the size limit (or number of files allowed in a zip file limit) of your instance, that may be a good option.

-- Jim